URGENT, PLEASE HELP: Traveling with my Ukulele

sophiav

Reaction score
Hey, guys!

I am booked to fly on Tuesday, June 2nd. Unfortunately, I only JUST learned that if I take it on the plane, it will have to go in overhead stowing, and therefore needs a hard case, but I don't have one and cannot get one in time!

Please, give me your advice; if I am very careful, and wait to put my uke in the overhead until the last few minutes, do you think it will be ok?? :/ I'm worried to take it, but I don't want to spend a month without it!

UPDATE: I am so dense!! I just realized that my uke will fit perfectly into my hard carry on luggage.. I can wrap it in clothing? Was this just too easy for me to see? Or am I overlooking an issue? AH!

Let me know! Thanks so much

-Sophie

ADDITION: I still have the small, triangular, cardboard box that it arrived in. Do you guys think that if I taped it up well and maybe put some padding in there, that it would be okay?

Last edited:
Check your local Craigslist for a case?

Why does it need a hardshell case? A good gig bag should protect it just fine if you're careful.

Sometimes (if the plane you're on has a closet up front, and if there is room) the flight attendant will agree to keep your instrument in that closet. Some folks use these for hanging suit bags, bridal gowns, etc.. That would be your best option.

If I read the airline rules correctly, they say you can store your instrument in the overhead bin if there is room. If the overhead bins are full, they might insist that it go in the luggage compartment.

More and more people are carrying on luggage instead of checking bags. Overhead bin space is becoming harder to find. Your fellow passengers might be respectful of your ukulele, and might not. I've witnessed people trying to *forcefully* cram backpacks and other containers into the overhead bin.

I would not risk flying with a stringed instrument without at least a hard case. Professional musicians purchase a metal case for travel.

That little closet sounds good, but you're right; there's no promise that I can use it. I really don't want to risk it.. but I really really want it with me! I still have the small ukulele shaped cardboard box that it arrived in. Do you think it would be okay in that?

I'm hoping that's the case, but I can't guarantee that some careless oaf won't shove their bag around during the flight, either..

I'll have to try to be as careful as I can! Thank for your input

Would a storage container with a handle be a carry on, like a tool box style?

You can't put anything under the seat in front of you? That's where I always put mine. That way nothing shifts onto it.

May I ask how expensive or replaceable the uke is if something does happen?

What airline are you flying and what size uke? I usually just travel with a soprano in a gig bag and explain to the flight attendants what I have with me. They've either taken it to their small closet or let it be the last items stored in the overhead bin. I've also traveled with instruments as large as a short scale bass and haven't had any issues since I make sure to explain what I have with me.

bubble wrap

This makes the most sense to me in a pinch such as you describe. You can buy the stuff anywhere and it is inexpensive so you are not sinking a lot of money into something you will throw away when you do around to buying a hard shell case. Bubble wrap's sole purpose in life is protecting stuff during shipping.

Tony

I was thinking of something like that! I actually JUST realized that my uke will fit into my actual carry on luggage!! I can wrap it in clothes.. Is that too easy? Am I overlooking something?

I can, but then I won't have anywhere to put my personal item (backpack). :/

Top Bottom