BEST POST EVER.......read on

"Impostor Syndrome"........ouch, hit's a little close to home.

It's an interesting article. Like Kissing, I just play for the sake of playing and enjoying myself - practicing is kind of meditative to me too, as mentioned in the quotes, and helps me to snap out of stress and anxiety like few other things manage. I only picked up stringed instruments when I turned forty, so there are no dreams of mastery or ambitions, which makes it a relaxing, fun, and above all: non-competitive affair for me. :)

tired? No. I just slept 8 hours.

That's a good article as long as you don't take it as gospel for every uke player and their personal goals and styles of play. His goal was to be a professional. That's a very different direction from most here.

That's a good article as long as you don't take it as gospel for every uke player and their personal goals and styles of play. His goal was to be a professional. That's a very different direction from most here.[/QUOTE said:
I took from it the concept of the beauty of totally immersing in whatever art form, even just living with awareness, that one chooses. Rather than being a professional as a goal, simply diving into something with passion offers immense awards. Personally I strum and sing. That's it and I love it. My other passion is art and I have done that professionally with pretty big time success at times. In that realm I have also seen the dangers of commerce and ego. Nice to strum and sing just for myself.

"Impostor Syndrome"........ouch, hit's a little close to home.

I don't buy that. Anyhow who determines what is good and proper here? This was the only part of that article that I object to, the "imposter syndrome" comment was out of line IMO. I appreciate greatly his approach, knowing however that it's not going to be my method. I like to play for fun. I have no ulterior motives and while I indulge in UAS etc. I still have grown and improved as a player. Go figure.

Last edited:
Great article and I think the book would be a good read.
Together this pleasure in music and the discipline of practice engage in an endless tussle, a kind of romance. The sense of joy justifies the labor; the labor, I hope, leads to joy.

Practicing is striving; practicing is a romance. But practicing is also a risk, a test of character, a threat of deeply personal failure… Every day I collide with my limits, the constraints of my hands, my instrument, and my imagination.

I tried to find some of the author's recordings on classical guitar, but didn't find one thing. Sad.

Top Bottom