Steel string size for low G on tenor electric?

strumsilly

Reaction score
I want to change a tenor electric from high to low G. What diameter steel string do I need? thanks

I want to change a tenor electric from high to low G. What diameter steel string do I need? thanks

It's going to depend on brand as core wire diameter varies, and that plays a significant part toward the overall tension, as does type (roundwound, groundwound, rollerwound, flatwound), but a .030 is probably a good starting point for you.

D G B E from an electric guitar .009 set easily tunes you up to G C E A on steel string electric ukes.

Hence, use a wound D guitar string.
0.024 from a D'addario Super Light Gauge set would do it.

Personally i would just buy a new set and replace all the strings at the same time.

Thanks. I have a .030 [an 5th from a D'addario EXL130 set, a .026 [4th]from a EXL 110 set] and a .028 from a Dunlop set. all round nickel wound . so I guess any will work ,the .026 is closest . I'll try that, and put the whole regular light set on if I like it [EXL 110]
thanks

That sounds like it will work.

I have found that 4th to 1st from electric guitar sets work for GCEA tuning on tenor steel electrics.

I have also used 5th to 2nd to tune tenor steel string electrics to baritone ukulele tuning too in the past.

I guess you get some leeway depending on how much tension you prefer.

I guess you get some leeway depending on how much tension you prefer.

Definitely; there's only a 4lb difference between a .026 and a .030 when tuned to G on a 17" scale tenor.

Since the OP has a .026, .028, .030 I'd try them all, see what works and build a set around that.

thanks all. I put the .026 on and it works great. btw, this is on the Vorosn that just arrived strung reentrant. Just read some other threads on it and I have got to say that I really like it , so far. a great bargan of slightly more than a ben.

Top Bottom