Vorson Electric Ukulele finally arrived

strumsilly

Reaction score
I ordered one of these [h=1]Vorson FSUK1BK Style Electric Ukulele[/h]a while back while waiting for a custom electeric. they were out of stock and I forgot about it. it arrived yesterday. I'm very impressed for the $120 [that's with shipping and tax]. the bolt on neck is very nice maple, the frets are level, and the intonation is spot on. The bridge is cheap, but, I lowered the action at the bridge[very easy with the right size tool] and it plays like a dream. there are a few minor issues but this baby was $120. The cheap bag they ship in actually scratched the back where it was sewn. minor and will probably buff out if i bothered. it came high g so I put on a .026 from a light set and it's perfect. The price is now about $120 for Amazon prime, + tax for the black, and Amazon says they have 9. I'll do a full review if I have time, but I consider this a very good buy. just a heads up.

So cheap I had to order one. I have been selling off ukes that I don't use but for $120, why not get a dust collector.

as long as they play. I was worried about how they would hold up to my headbanger style of playing. I will end up getting a couple to smash on stage instead of the Risas.

I know silly. I love that Risa but I admit that it' overwhelms me. I'm not much at finger picking so it's not getting a lot of use yet. I can do a simple version (chords) of Babe I'm gonna leave you by LZ. :D It's so beautiful and black. I just wish I was a little more up to it. Mostly I just play the Pono's.

Very close to ordering one as amazon will deliver to the uk, but I really need a bandsaw for my workshop first.

Anyone gonna post some video to tempt me?

I had ordered one of these too, back in February, and it was backordered for a full 3 months. It finally arrived 2 weeks ago, and I am well pleased with it.
I got the Les Paul style. (I posted a picture in the Uke p*** thread)
Not meaning to steal anyone's thunder, but here's my mini-review:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:
The Good
Astonishingly playable! The action is unbelievably low. (as in, you probably can't slide a business card between the strings and the first fret wire, and there is no buzz whatsoever)
I'm able to play arpeggios by merely TOUCHING the strings. No acoustic is as easy to play as this electric!
It actually sounds GREAT! Not like a ukulele though--Just like a little electric guitar, as you'd expect.
The first thing I did after unboxing was to replace the lousy stock strings with a set of D'Addarios (the gauges recommended by Risa work great)--after that, this thing sounded GREAT right away.
The quilt maple body with high gloss sunburst finish looks beautiful. Flawless, really. The exotic wood added a few bucks to the price, but it was still less than $150.
The chrome bridge hardware is nice, and has separately adjustable saddles for each string (though see the "UGLY" section for the other side of this coin)
The frets seem smooth and even, and I detect no significant intonation problems, though I have no doubt that it would benefit from a full setup.
The pickups are height-adjustable.

The Bad (or at least Not So Good)
The tuners look nice (closed-gear chrome), but they are crude and loose. They WORK just fine, and hold their tuning acceptably well, but these ain't no Grovers.
The two pickups are single-coil, and they hum, plenty. No surprise though. What did surprise me: if you use a DI box with Ground Lift, the pickups might start picking up local RADIO STATIONS! Mine did. Engaging the ground (earth) solved this pretty quickly though.
As mentioned earlier, the stock strings are poor. Replace them with your favorite electric guitar strings. Google search for correct gauges (I'd list them, but they're not close at hand at the moment)
The pots (volume and tone) and the pickup switch, while seemingly rugged enough, are 'scratchy' sounding, so it gives a cheap feel, though they DO work. The tone pot is very non-linear in its response, so you don't get a smooth transition between bass and treble. I'm sure these could be replaced, but is it worth the bother? I'm not so sure.

...and The Ugly (though not a deal-breaker)
The bridge assembly was mounted sloppily--a few millimeters crooked, and a few millimeters off-center, but thankfully this does not ruin the playability. Unfortunately, it does cause the string courses to not be perfectly centered on the fretboard--they are offset a bit to one side (biased toward the G string), but this does not seem to cause problems, per se. It just looks awkward.

VERDICT:
I gotta say, I still fully intend to buy a Risa as soon as I can afford one (the quality and dual humbuckers are very appealing), but this Vorson is WELL WORTH the sub-$150 price tag.
If you have ANY inclination to try a solid-body electric uke, without much commitment, this is a way to try it out, while keeping the stakes low.

PRO-TIP:
If you are the avant/experimental type, you're probably gonna love this.
If you already possess guitar effects pedals, you're DEFINITELY gonna love this.
I have an Eventide H7600 Effects Processor, and this cheap little uke sounds AMAZING through it. Seriously.

I'll post sound samples if anyone's interested.

I got a Vorson tenor electric too several weeks back.

For the price, it is amazing value!
And this is coming from someone who owned all the Risa electrics in the past.

The Risa's are indeed worth their price, as they used top quality parts and don't have the compromises to quality that the Vorson has. However, after a bit of tweaking, the Vorson is extremely playable and sounds great too.

My Vorson actually doesn't hum much. It's virtually hum free at moderate gain. Hum can often be due to your power cables/power source. If your amp is also battery powered, try playing it through battery instead of mains power and see if it still hums. The pickups on the Vorson are actually really well voiced to produce a nice range of tones.

The one significant problem that I had was when I was adjusting the truss rod.
Mine came 'preowned' and I felt that the previous owner had way too much neck relief. The headstock required some surgery in order for a standard truss rod key to fit, as detailed here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?105907-Vorson-Truss-Rod-Problem-FIXED

Last edited:
Ok, here's something I was playing with last weekend.
There are 4 sections that change every 16 bars, and I threw in a slightly different texture in each (no distortion though).

Vorson uke > Eventide H7600 effects
Elektron Analog 4 synth (bass & drum sequence)

Click here to listen on SoundCloud

Last edited:
With that many one star ratings I'd be cautious. Bottom end stuff is usually there for a reason but not always.

Ok, here's something I was playing with last weekend.
There are 4 sections that change every 16 bars, and I threw in a slightly different texture in each (no distortion though).

Vorson uke > Eventide H7600 effects
Elektron Analog 4 synth (bass & drum sequence)

Click here to listen on SoundCloud

Sounds electric all right. I think you got a very good deal there. I hope it continues to please.

Are there any good low cost multi-effects out there?

I've got a Digitech RP45 that I bought 2/3 years ago for less than 50 quid. Very good for my level but they have other models which have a step up in price and additional bells and whistles. I believe the RP155 has a looper on it. Some have built-in wah-wah style pedals too. I've got a Digitech overdrive pedal too. Both are very well made.

Zoom does one as well but I've never used one. The Boss one seems to be the, erm, boss, but is priced as such. But for just dipping your toe in I would say whichever Digitech fits your budget. Even my bog-standard one has 40 preset effects with the ability to tweak and save them as new ones, so a potential for 80 different effects.

Top Bottom