Early Onset UAS

page side

Reaction score
You guys, I'm new to this forum but I really need help. I have only been playing the uke for about a week and I am already starting to see signs of UAS. I received my spruce-top kala tenor from HMS and it is amazing in both sound and quality. In fact, it plays so great that my girlfriend has started using it too and now we fight over playing time...so I went ahead and ordered a Pono MT today so we can have two ukes. I can't wait for the Pono to arrive but I thought I'd make it longer than a week before UAS set in, lol! I love this dang instrument. Lurking this forum has been instrumental in helping me pick out both ukes so I figured it was time for a 'thank you' post. I know, I know, I'll get some pics up later today, and update the thread when the Pono arrives.

Here are some pics of the kala-stg:
IMG_2153.jpgIMG_2156.jpgIMG_2158.jpgIMG_2157.jpg

I'm so glad I opted for the gloss spruce top. I'm really happy with the brightness it adds compared to the ka-t I tried in a local shop. At $180, this is an unbeatable solid top instrument in my opinion.

Hey neighbor, I made it a whopping 30 days before getting uke #2 and am currently waiting on a Pono MT as well (which is uke #3). I'd probably be fibbing if I said that the Pono is my last one. We'll have to compare notes when we receive them.

I like that spruce top. Kala makes some very nice ukes. I'm currently playing a cedar top acacia but intend to add a spruce top at some point.

Hey neighbor, I made it a whopping 30 days before getting uke #2 and am currently waiting on a Pono MT as well (which is uke #3). I'd probably be fibbing if I said that the Pono is my last one. We'll have to compare notes when we receive them.

I like that spruce top. Kala makes some very nice ukes. I'm currently playing a cedar top acacia but intend to add a spruce top at some point.

Sounds good! After some research I chose worth clears for the MT so I'll let you know how those sound. I noticed you're from Philly, are you a part of the South Street Ukulele Club? They meet at BridgeSet Sound at 7th and South. The people that work there are great...I just started taking lessons from them and I plan to attend the next meeting...

Sounds good! After some research I chose worth clears for the MT so I'll let you know how those sound. I noticed you're from Philly, are you a part of the South Street Ukulele Club? They meet at BridgeSet Sound at 7th and South. The people that work there are great...I just started taking lessons from them and I plan to attend the next meeting...

I'm having my MT set up low G. I've been wanting a low G uke for a while now.
BridgeSet is great! I take lessons there as well. I went to a few of the South Street Ukulele Club gatherings and even though I was out of my league it was great fun. We'll have to meet up at a future event.

Two very nice instruments! Welcome to UU! Hey, if your girlfriend also likes the Pono, are you going to go for a third?

Welcome to UU! I hope your UAS doesn't put you all in the poorhouse! Kala was a very good choice, I have two. One is my go to uke, and the other is a laminate that I use for experimentation. (Side soundhole, wound steel strings). I've never had a Pono, but one of my BFFs has one and loves it, so I bet you'll have a keeper there. Not to feed your disease, but my Ohana is a looker, and screams with volume, it's hard to put down. And it was CHEAP! Good luck, let us see your Pono when it comes!

Ooh, girlfriend who likes uke! Could be fun. Concert for B-day present, Bari for the holidays,.........

You'll love the Pono. Post some pics

Enjoy

Sounds more like "UAS by proxy" rather than "early onset UAS". Either way, it is great that you have somebody to uke around with. Have fun.

In the first two months I played uke, I bought four, within a 18 months I went through sixteen, down to four now, but my UAS went to BAS, I started playing bass a few months ago, and now I'm up to six. although I have to say, I'm not getting the urge so much since selling off the last uke and buying the last bass. Maybe I'm in remission.

I presently have five on display and two in hiding. My girlfriend has begun pricing them and has begun to realize that my collection is postponing any hopes of us getting engaged. lol

Other than a banjo-uke from a decade ago that I ignored until recently, I can date the onset. The first 'uke (a Kohala soprano) came just under 2 years ago. The second (the Kala 6-string) came about 10 weeks ago. I now have 4 sopranos (including the Varsity banjo-uke), 4 tenors (4- and 6- and 8- and 10-string), and Harmonia concert and baritones 'ukes. So, from 3 to 10 'ukes in about 2.5 months. Yow. In that same period I went from an inherited banjo-mandolin and an old A-type mando to 5 mandolins (including a luthier-built beauty) and a mandola -- and two of my soprano 'ukes are in mando-fifths tuning. Once the disease takes hold, it is inexorable. We are doomed. Run! Run!

Ooh, girlfriend who likes uke! Could be fun. Concert for B-day present, Bari for the holidays,.........

My thoughts exactly!

Anyway, one will only find enablers of UAS on this forum. We do not discourage the purchasing of ukuleles here.

I signed up for this forum five years ago but have only been "hooked" since I got my Mainland tenor four months ago. That day, I began setting money aside each week... my Pono ATSH arrives tomorrow. (sigh)

UAS - perhaps the sweetest disease invented by man! Enjoy it all 'cause we only go around once (I think)...

Nope, not in remission, ordered an Oscar Schmidt bass uke a couple days ago, even put it in my signature even though it arrives tomorrow.

I presently have five on display and two in hiding. My girlfriend has begun pricing them and has begun to realize that my collection is postponing any hopes of us getting engaged. lol

Just tell her many ukes but only one wife. It is better to be cheaping on your ukes and not your woman. :rolleyes:

Just tell her many ukes but only one wife. It is better to be cheaping on your ukes and not your woman. :rolleyes:
Fortunately my wife insisted on buying me the first two 'ukes. But the rest have been my own damn fault. Well, she did insist on the Alvarez tenor, too. Hey, it's almost like she's finding me girlfriends! But we're approaching a limit now, purely physical -- insufficient space for more. Well, she keeps telling me she wants to move to a bigger place. More axes make a good excuse, right? "Sure, as long as the music room is large enough." Then we could have kept her late mom's piano.

Top Bottom