Anone know of Ukulele Shops in Manila?

Tommy B

Reaction score
Oops. Can't edit the title. I misspelled "Anyone." D'oh.

Hi all. I just got a call from my niece. She wanted advice on buying an inexpensive ukulele to take with her when she goes to the Philippines for six weeks of humanitarian work. She figures the uke will get banged up and maybe left behind when she returns to the States, so she doesn't want to spend more than $100. On the other hand, she doesn't want something quiet or unplayable, so the plastic ukes and dolphins are out.

Her plan was to buy it from Amazon because she can get it shipped quickly, and she's leaving in less than a week. Personally, I would prefer she buy it from someone who can do a setup, but there may not be time for that. So I looked on Amazon and suggested a Makala concert and an Oscar Schmidt concert that come bundled with gigbags and tuners.

The other possible option is that she buy a locally made uke. I looked online and the Manila shops with websites are pretty much selling the same ukes we have here. But I know there's a thriving instrument-building industry in the Philippines, and I'm wondering if any UU members know of any Manila shops selling decent locally made ukes. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of anything, please PM me (or reply here).

Tom

Last edited:
Try The Four Strings. It's in Cubao. They have a Facebook page which they update regularly. I've spoken to some of the folks there and really cool. All the ukes they sell are made in the Philippines.
There's also Ukulele Philippines which is in Makati. They tend to carry a lot of the US brand ones but they also carry a lot of the made in the Philippines.

Last edited:
Here in the philippines you can get a custom one for about 350 usd with wood just before master grade, master grade customs cost abt 450-600 $ you can easily get a 50$ laminate mahogany ukulele (jasmine is the brand name of my first ukulele)from local music shops like ones in Mall of Asia. They are very playable and come with aquilas , hope this helps, wish i could help more but i live here in davao haha :)

Try The Four Strings. It's in Cubao. They have a Facebook page which they update regularly. I've spoken to some of the folks there and really cool. All the ukes they sell are made in the Philippines.
There's also Ukulele Philippines which is in Makati. They tend to carry a lot of the US brand ones but they also carry a lot of the made in the Philippines.

Excellent. Thanks so much, boogie10! That's just the info I was hoping for.

Here in the philippines you can get a custom one for about 350 usd with wood just before master grade, master grade customs cost abt 450-600 $ you can easily get a 50$ laminate mahogany ukulele (jasmine is the brand name of my first ukulele)from local music shops like ones in Mall of Asia. They are very playable and come with aquilas , hope this helps, wish i could help more but i live here in davao haha :)

Thanks, Adrian. Yes, I know the prices are lower there. My family's from Cebu. Thanks for the advice on Jasmine and Mall of Asia. I'll pass that on to my niece.

Anone in Manila......

Anone in Man You'll A --What ? You'll A What ?

It's 01:00 in the AM and I'm feeling a bit daft.

Last edited:
Top Bottom