Fourth of July

Ukejenny

Reaction score
The Ukulele Band of Alabama has a gig on the Fourth. Got any song ideas that wouldn't be too tricky for the group to learn?

Play FreeBird!!! (Sorry)

Sweet Home Alabama
Georgia
New York, New York
California Dreamin'
Moonlight in Vermont....

There's gotta be more...

Cool Ideas! Thanks, y'all! We will be playing 90 minutes, so I need to have plenty to pull from.

Sweet Home Alabama
Georgia
New York, New York
California Dreamin'
Moonlight in Vermont....

There's gotta be more...

Love it! I Left My Heart In San Francisco.... We already have Country Roads on the list. Love that tune, too.

Springsteen's Born In The USA is a patriotic rocker.

Springsteen's Born In The USA is a patriotic rocker.

Yes and no. If you listen to the words to this song, you'll find that it's a somewhat bitter and sardonic take on the so-called American Dream. In Springsteen's own words, from Wikipedia - "Born in the U.S.A." is about "a working-class man" [in the midst of a] "spiritual crisis, in which man is left lost...It's like he has nothing left to tie him into society anymore. He's isolated from the government. Isolated from his family...to the point where nothing makes sense." Also from Wikipedia - "Beyond the 1984 presidential campaign, 'Born in the U.S.A.' was widely misinterpreted as purely nationalistic by those who heard the anthemic chorus but not the bitter verses."

There's no question that the chorus has become an anthem, but the chorus is intended to be ironic, given the lyrics of the verses. I read somewhere that Springsteen has been alternately amused and disappointed that people see the song as a celebration of America when it is actually critical.

Yankee Doodle Dandy
You're a Grand Old Flag
God Bless America
America The Beautiful
This Land Is Your Land
Cassius Go Rolling Along
Off We Go (Air Forcesong)
Anchors ss away
Marine Corps Hymn
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Dixie

Most of those mentioned were not what I consider patriotic songs, but still good.

In that theme, Route 66 is a good one that is easy to learn too.

Ralph

Top Bottom