Tuning Posts with Open Slots on Top

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I bought the Compass Rose Concert that showed up on HMS a couple of weeks ago and it just arrived.

It came with a low G and I had expected high G. I played it about five minutes, popped off the A string to start restringing and discovered there were no holes through the posts but a slot on top of the post. I've never seen this before so I looked on the web and discovered that this is a vintage type tuner. Now I've been playing guitar for 50 years and this is the first time I've seen this, but it does appear to be something that has been used.

Well I could not get the Southcoast Medium string I was trying to use to stick. It just kept popping out. There were some videos on the web about how to string these things, but it wasn't working for me. I finally decided the string was too thin and went back to the A string it came with, which worked just fine. The strings seemed like Nylgut or Nyltech. I found a Nyltech high G and ended up just changing out the one string.

Has anyone seen tuners like this. This seems to be what Rick Turner uses on the Compass Rose. I can't figure out what. They are a real pain. I'm seriously thinking of changing out the tuners to something with holes in the post.

I bought the Compass Rose Concert that showed up on HMS a couple of weeks ago and it just arrived.

It came with a low G and I had expected high G. I played it about five minutes, popped off the A string to start restringing and discovered there were no holes through the posts but a slot on top of the post. I've never seen this before so I looked on the web and discovered that this is a vintage type tuner. Now I've been playing guitar for 50 years and this is the first time I've seen this, but it does appear to be something that has been used.

Well I could not get the Southcoast Medium string I was trying to use to stick. It just kept popping out. There were some videos on the web about how to string these things, but it wasn't working for me. I finally decided the string was too thin and went back to the A string it came with, which worked just fine. The strings seemed like Nylgut or Nyltech. I found a Nyltech high G and ended up just changing out the one string.

Has anyone seen tuners like this. This seems to be what Rick Turner uses on the Compass Rose. I can't figure out what. They are a real pain. I'm seriously thinking of changing out the tuners to something with holes in the post.

Why don't you lay the string in the slot then wrap it back around the post and lay it in the slot again over top the first section. This will give the string two bend points and should hold. I always put the string through the hole twice and this is the same procedure but with the slot instead. You might have to hold the end as you turn to get some initial bite on the string. Just a thought, hope it works.

Why don't you lay the string in the slot then wrap it back around the post and lay it in the slot again over top the first section. This will give the string two bend points and should hold. I always put the string through the hole twice and this is the same procedure but with the slot instead. You might have to hold the end as you turn to get some initial bite on the string. Just a thought, hope it works.

That's what I'm thinking, and definitely hold it while you wind until it's tight.

This. At that point, the wrap that is over the top of the string is essentially "locking" the end in place as the wraps that go under the end tighten on the tuning post.

As a thought, if you can look directly down at the tuning post, is there a hole in the middle of the slot? This tuner style is the standard for bass strings, so if there IS a hole, you can always put the end in that hole, and then wrap the string around as normal.

Last edited:
That's the one.

I understand how to get the strings to stick - the problem is that it seems that it will only work with strings that are thick enough. I can get the Nyltech strings to hold with no problem but just can't get the Southcoast Mediums on the thinner strings to hold. It doesn't work to overlap the strings. With the thicker strings I just hold the string in place until it holds itself. This system makes sense for bass strings which are much thicker. I don't understand why one would put them on a ukulele.

lockstring.jpg

Something like this. Thicker strings just fold back is enough. Thinner strings usually work with just folding back but if you still slip twisting will lock it. You should not be forced to rule out the strings you want by the tuner mechanics.

Last edited:
That's the one.

I understand how to get the strings to stick - the problem is that it seems that it will only work with strings that are thick enough. I can get the Nyltech strings to hold with no problem but just can't get the Southcoast Mediums on the thinner strings to hold. It doesn't work to overlap the strings. With the thicker strings I just hold the string in place until it holds itself. This system makes sense for bass strings which are much thicker. I don't understand why one would put them on a ukulele.

Thin strings should work with either method illustrated below. #1 example you have two tight bends that will bite. #2 example you have one tight bend and a knot, that will definitely hold it. Turn refers to the direction the post should be turning while tighening the string for this to work well.

Spookelele has a great method above. Thanks for the idea of the drawing........picture is worth a thousand

20150602_173222.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, I would've wrapped it in the other side of the post in that configuration, no?

Given the same post, and same direction, lay the string straight in, wrap counterclockwise & thread under the string coming from the nut, then pull the string up from underneath the straight section, and wrap it over the top od the string headed towards the head, in the opposite direction. When you tighten, it'll lock on itself after the first turn. I'll try to post a pic later.

I'd like to get my hands on a set go those slotted tuners. I suspect they would be just the trick for a baritone that I modified to be played as a UBass or a regular Bari with a quick string change. I was stymied by the tuners I had.

I'd like to get my hands on a set go those slotted tuners. I suspect they would be just the trick for a baritone that I modified to be played as a UBass or a regular Bari with a quick string change. I was stymied by the tuners I had.

there ya' go...order some Grovers or Waverlys and sell your slotted tuners!

I think I figured out that the "purpose" of these is to hide the loose string ends. I hate them.

Hi Katysax,
In the guitar world, you take your string end and shove it perpendicular down the centre of the slot. A small portion of the string end should stick in a hole in the bottom of the slot. Then you wind the string like normal. Do a visual check and look at the bottom of the slot and see if there is a hole to tuck the string end in to hold it , then wind 3-4 winds on the post. I've had several Stratocasters with this type of slot head. I have a steel string acoustic with tuners like this. They work find for steel strings....... can't say how they would work for nylon. Not sure if you have type I'm talking about but have a look...... it would only take a minute.
Cheers

Top Bottom