Gotoh friction tuners on 80s Kamaka Baritone

roddy

Reaction score
I've got an 80s Kamaka Bari with Schaller friction tuners. They're okay but that click and sudden jump in pitch is annoying. I dont want to go the geared tuner route but I was wondering if anyone has used Gotoh Uka friction tuners on an old Kamaka Bari. The smooth movement of Gotoh friction tuners is very appealing but I am wondering if there are any issues that I should be aware of before taking off the Schallers.
Much mahalo in advance!

Yeah I like the Gotoh geared tuners. I've got Gotoh planetary tuners on my Kamaka concert but I was told that they shouldn't be used on anything but sopranos and concerts. I want to stay with the friction experience but just upgrade to a better friction tuner (Gotoh). Just wondering if anyone has done this.

I have Gotoh on my Tenor Beltona.
No issues at all.
H

Thanks! Good to know. I guess some people are just naturally cautious.

According to Gotoh, the Gotoh UKA friction tuners can't replace the Schallers because they need a smaller hole than the Schallers do. Gotoh writes:
"Thanks for your inquiry.
The hole for the pegs of Scahller must be larger than GOTOH UKA.
Therefore, direct replacement could not be performed."

So I assume that the hole that the as Schallers have made is now too big for the Gotohs.
If anyone has replaced the Schallers on an old Kamaka baritone, what tuners did you use?
Much mahalo in advance for any tips.

Hi hms. Just want to clarify. Do you haveGotoh friction tuners or the Gotoh geared tuners on your baritone?

They are planetary on the Tenor Beltona.
h

maybe just take your Schaller tuners apart and clean them up and make sure they're properly adjusted...

The right course of action is probably to take the instrument to your luthier to have the current friction tuners adjusted. The jumping and clicking is due to issues of tightness and/or the condition of the surfaces (tuner and headstock). If these are not right, the Gotohs will be no better than the Schallers. Guaranteed.

Wise words. Actually that's a good idea.
The right course of action is probably to take the instrument to your luthier to have the current friction tuners adjusted. The jumping and clicking is due to issues of tightness and/or the condition of the surfaces (tuner and headstock). If these are not right, the Gotohs will be no better than the Schallers. Guaranteed.

I agree with Bill1, UkeDanno and StevePetergal.

Top Bottom