PDA

View Full Version : new affordable MP series line from Pono sneak look

MGM
03-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Koolaus new pono mp series in Ohai or Monkeypod which is now gaining popularity also in guitar making. Monkeypod is a beautiful grained and figured wood that sometimes here in Hawaii was considered inferior and many Hawaiian wood products such as calabashes and bowls were copied in asia and the philipines using monkeypod thus giving the wood a cheap connotation but recently some guitar makers are now reconizing it as a great tone wood and figured wood...check out your latest LMI catolog and see the prices for guitar sets...anyway used in Hawaii alot by makers such a Ka Lae and also by Ron yasuda this is a sneak look at the new Ohai line from Pono. this is a concert price full list for tenors are 299.95 for a solid wood uke...heres the peek

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/musicguymic/ponoohaiconcert.jpg

experimentjon
03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Hmmm...is it just me or that wood grain looks like something that a dresser or desk would be made out of...I mean, it would be a nice expensive desk, but it looks sort of like furniture wood to me. It's probably just me.

I wonder how it sounds. But overall, the instrument looks very nice, like your typical Pono instrument. And it's well priced for a pono. I hope to play one in person someday.

MGM
03-11-2009, 09:34 PM
does this help you get a better picture of the possibilities

guitar with monkeypod

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/musicguymic/BSMonkeypodKirkLoveZOOM.jpg

set wood

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/musicguymic/BSMonkeyPodWMPcreate.jpg

grappler
03-11-2009, 10:03 PM
pretty decent! i bet it sounds pretty awesome too

Nuke-ulele
03-12-2009, 03:48 AM
The price sounds great, but to be honest, the grain in the second set of pics just is not for me. It looks like something organic smushed under glass for a microscope! I actually prefer the plainer, "furniture" looking one in the original post, looks sort of like mahogany. I am also am not crazy about having to explain to everyone that my insument is made of solid monkeypod. Mainlanders never have heard of that and will think it is something illicit and scary. I love Ko'olau, though..I am sure they will sound great.

UkuleleD
03-12-2009, 04:50 AM
I know for fact Kamaka made ukes in the factory during the 1920's/1930's using monkeypod but they were just sold under Ka-Lai. That's about as straight off the island as it gets

monkeypod is no joke, and I also don't spend this mess of money so my ukulele just looks cool, its all about the sound and I'm sure these pono ukes will be great for the price range

spazus_maximus
03-12-2009, 05:34 AM
looks like a mahogany/koa offspring......

btw....thanks for my uke mike....Im lovin it!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Shoots, and here I am burning the stuff in my sauna!

Lori
03-12-2009, 06:34 AM
I think the monkeypod wood looks very interesting. I like the exotic woods, strong figured woods and spalted grains. I don't think I would mind saying my uke was monkeypod... it sounds tropical.

The question is... how does it sound?

–Lori

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-12-2009, 06:52 AM
The tonal qualities are have been said to be similar to mahogany and has also been used as soundboard material in recent years. Jeffrey Yong brought monkey pod into popular favor when he introduced his monkey pod guitar at the Guild of American Luthier's convention in 2006. That year his monkey pod guitar won the GAL blind listening test. I haven't used it myself but that's a pretty convincing testament. Beyond the specie of wood itself, what is most critical is how the instrument is built, and how the top is braced and thinned. If it's built by a good company, my hunch is that it should make a pretty good uke. I personally would like to see monkey pod gain in popularity to help take some of the pressure ($$$) off of koa.
And BTW, like most other woods, monkey pod can be pretty boring or it can have a dynamic grain pattern.

GrumpyCoyote
03-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the preview Mike - I love the look. I'll have to hear one of course, looking forward to it.

If they do the same job they do with the Mango and the Koa, it will be a great axe for the price.

luigidk
03-12-2009, 08:17 AM
So is this a common occurrence with Ukes?

What I mean is I just purchased my first Uke - after several weeks of research, trying them out...

And it seems for every decision I made - there is always a new post, new Uke to take a look at???

Is this the start of UAS? (hope not - my wife won't stand for it)

Paul December
03-12-2009, 08:24 AM
The name "Monkeypod" sounds silly... they should change it to something more acceptable like "MonkeySex" :cool:

GX9901
03-12-2009, 08:35 AM
So is this a common occurrence with Ukes?

What I mean is I just purchased my first Uke - after several weeks of research, trying them out...

And it seems for every decision I made - there is always a new post, new Uke to take a look at???

Is this the start of UAS? (hope not - my wife won't stand for it)

Yeah, that's the onset of UAS. Just hide them in your closet or something.:D

cpatch
03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
The name "Monkeypod" sounds silly
I have to agree...it's also known as "Rain Tree," which sounds much better and seems more marketable to me. (Although no matter what you call it I'm not that crazy about the way it looks.)

dnewton2
03-12-2009, 08:37 AM
The name "Monkeypod" sounds silly... they should change it to something more acceptable like "MonkeySex" :cool:

:D Check out my new solid MonkeySex Ukulele!:D

Paul December
03-12-2009, 08:59 AM
:D Check out my new solid MonkeySex Ukulele!:D

If you practice at night, the neighbors will complain about being awoken by the sound of the MonkeySex :p

Oswegan
03-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah, in Oregon we rebranded the "filbert" and now we call it the "hazelnut" . . . much more sophisticated! Genius!

Captain Google
03-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I have to agree...it's also known as "Rain Tree," which sounds much better and seems more marketable to me. (Although no matter what you call it I'm not that crazy about the way it looks.)

I think "rainwood" would be a neat name for said material. :cool:

NukeDOC
03-12-2009, 10:04 AM
the grain looks similar to the sunlite tenor i got my brother a while back that he then deached to our cousin that wanted to learn to play. this is just a little darker tone.

im interested in hearing what this ukulele sounds like.

the sunlite tenor that my brother had... sounded really nice, played very well, was loud, but the neck met the body at the 12th fret. oh yeah, did i mention it was PLYWOOD? not just laminate... haha. but really though, for $60 it was a GREAT UKULELE.

now this one comes out. solid construction. and stamped with the pono name. they gotta stop coming out with all these ukuleles. i cant afford UAS coming out of remission.

Ahnko Honu
03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm a woodturner and all my Monkeypod bowls I sell under the Hawaiian name for it "OHAI" (oh-hi) since Monkeypod at least locally has the cheap made in Philippines stigma, but with the name "Ohai" wood on the bowl people appreciate the work I put into the item without the stigma.
I hope they market it as Ohai wood, Hawaiians won't buy a "Monkeypod" ukulele. ;)

UkuleleD
03-12-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm a woodturner and all my Monkeypod bowls I sell under the Hawaiian name for it "OHAI" (oh-hi) since Monkeypod at least locally has the cheap made in Philippines stigma, but with the name "Ohai" wood on the bowl people appreciate the work I put into the item without the stigma.

Funny how that works aint it :rolleyes:, like I said if the price is right, it's quality work, and sounds good who cares what name you stamp on the bowl

ka0tikguy
03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
wow monkey pod. interesting. I'd wanna hear how that sounds. its amazing how makers expand their wood selection. from the original koa, to mango, zebra, mahogany, spruce, and now monkeypod.

deach
03-13-2009, 12:54 AM
monkeypod sounds cool. monkeypod. i like it. monkeypod.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-13-2009, 01:15 AM
as for my opinion!, and the risk of losing rep, i honestly think it looks to plain (don't even ask me what that means) although $300 solid wood, right?? its pono, so im sure it sounds great

ichadwick
03-13-2009, 01:29 AM
I think the monkeypod wood looks very interesting. I like the exotic woods, strong figured woods and spalted grains.

I'm with you. I love the exotic look of woods and don't really care about symmetry and bookmatching as much as overall visual impact. I have a stunning mango wood uke that really startles people used to seeing conservative spruce and cedar tops.

But sound is the key. Mango is a nice wood, but tonally very different from spruce and cedar or mahogany and koa. Not bad, mind you - just different.

Looks nice to me - and the difference would make a reason to own one. I want ukes that all look and sound different, not a collection of similar ones. So I'm intrigued... when will they be released for the consumer, Mike?

MGM
03-13-2009, 02:54 AM
These will not be readily available until June however i will have samples at the Dallas Uke festival and NY uke festival

Uke Republic
03-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Dolphin pod. Monkey troop.

MGM
03-16-2009, 11:24 AM
okay guys this is called "Ohai" not monkeypod which is the slang....The series is called the Oahi series and John even renamed the whole modelline from MakePono..see the MP in it which stood for Makepono... not Monkeypod....The proper name is Ohai I mentioned monkeypod because thats what some would use incorrectly for it. Ron yasuda has been making Ohai Ukuleles for years and they sound great.

03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
`auwe. imho they should re-think that name. though one of the mana`o of "make" is "desire" it's primary meaning is "to die or dead" lol

Ahnko Honu
03-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Amen, Make' die dead not a good association to have with a ukulele. :eek:
Adding make in front of pono reverses the meaning of the pono

make= death or dead, pono = rightoeusness, correctness
makepono = death or end to righteousness :eek::(:confused:

03-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Amen, Make' die dead not a good association to have with a ukulele. :eek:

i was thinking the same thing. kou inoa is very important and i don't think they put much real thought or asked for any kokua in naming, which (and i am not accusing Pono/Ko`olau of anything) is a common error by a lot of businesses in trying to capitalize on Hawai`i. for example, i remember i chastized a surf company for using the name kalepo as a product name. ka+lepo = woman's period. hahaha.

i think hanging out kaleo (a common friend of Anhko Honu and I) rubbed off on me.

Paul December
03-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Amen, Make' die dead not a good association to have with a ukulele.

So..... what would makemonkeysex = :confused:

NukeDOC
03-16-2009, 12:38 PM
So..... what would makemonkeysex = :confused:

to die while bumping uglies with a monkey

Paul December
03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
to die while bumping uglies with a monkey

Bad, but could be worse ....
... In my defense, I was drunk.

NukeDOC
03-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Bad, but could be worse ....
... In my defense, I was drunk.

well if your avatar is a self portrait, then i dont think you should have to explain yourself hehe

MGM
03-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Okay guys the line WAS called Makepone and that means affrodable...asuch misinformation yu guys should rersearch before you post... make does mean die but not makepono.....here is John's text from his website

Its not Makepono
Its not monkeypod. not monkeysex, not monkeying around

ITS OHAI SERIES LOL..............................

Anybody want to discuss and comment on the new FRUITWOOD ukuleles i have seen??? ha ha

back to Pono Guitars & 'Ukuleles
Pono Production Updates

Note: 2009 Pono production changes:

1. 'Ohai Series (originally to be the MP makepono, pronounced mah-kay pono Series). The MP designation has been revised due to the mis-conception that MP was the abbreviation for monkeypod. Actually the MP initials were short for makepono, defined in Hawaiian as "reasonably priced, economical). However, the actual name for this wood in Hawaiian is 'Ohai, not the slang word monkeypod. As Koa is Koa, and Mango is Mango, so 'Ohai is 'Ohai. So we have decided to correctly name our new model. Besides a name, the new 'Ohai Series will feature similar high quality craftsmanship, design, tonal properties as our "O" Series, but more simply adorned. To save cost, and reduce pricing, it will include a gig bag instead of a hardshell case.

03-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Okay guys the line WAS called Makepone and that means affrodable...asuch misinformation yu guys should rersearch before you post... make does mean die but not makepono.....here is John's text from his website

Its not Makepono
Its not monkeypod. not monkeysex, not monkeying around

ITS OHAI SERIES LOL..............................

Anybody want to discuss and comment on the new FRUITWOOD ukuleles i have seen??? ha ha

back to Pono Guitars & 'Ukuleles
Pono Production Updates

Note: 2009 Pono production changes:

1. 'Ohai Series (originally to be the MP makepono, pronounced mah-kay pono Series). The MP designation has been revised due to the mis-conception that MP was the abbreviation for monkeypod. Actually the MP initials were short for makepono, defined in Hawaiian as "reasonably priced, economical). However, the actual name for this wood in Hawaiian is 'Ohai, not the slang word monkeypod. As Koa is Koa, and Mango is Mango, so 'Ohai is 'Ohai. So we have decided to correctly name our new model. Besides a name, the new 'Ohai Series will feature similar high quality craftsmanship, design, tonal properties as our "O" Series, but more simply adorned. To save cost, and reduce pricing, it will include a gig bag instead of a hardshell case.

understood, but... by itself sure makepono = bargain, but when the root is PONO which is the name of the company, and they simply add "make" to the front, there will be questioning of the choice especially when the initial acronymn for the series was MP which could be interpreted as the separation of two words Make+Pono. for them, makepono would not be pololei, pono a name for them to use. because the prefix will denote something else. (for a fierce competitor maybe! the kaona/hidden meanings would be unending!) i admit, i see things differently.

anyways, they choose a different name so the argument is pau.

experimentjon
03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Doing the price comparison, it's considerably chepaer than it's next closest model.

But then, I've seen this guy on Hawaii Craigslist who seems to have a fat stash of KPK ukes. I don't know what KPK retail is, b/c i can't seem to find their site, but hes offering KPK tenors at $190, severely undercutting the Pono Ohai.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/1078345532.html

PONOs

TENOR:
- OT 'Ohai $299.95 (available early June 2009)
- PTO Mahogany $429.95
- PTS Mahogany Delux $569.95
- PTS-CE Mahogany Delux Cutaway with pickup $699.95
- PTM Mango $599.95
- PTM8-E Mango 8-String $719.95
- PTES Ebony Delux $779.95
- PTES-CE Ebony Delux Cutaway with pickup (spruce top, maple binding) $899.95
- PTEC-CE Ebony Delux Cutaway with pickup (cedar top, ebony binding) $899.95
- PTES-5 Ebony Delux, spruce top, abalone top purfling $879.95
- PTES-500 Ebony Delux, Pikake faceplate and fingerboard inlay $999.95

Ahnko Honu
03-16-2009, 06:33 PM

Ah the Mahu Wood series... :D:cool:

Ahnko Honu
03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Doing the price comparison, it's considerably chepaer than it's next closest model.

But then, I've seen this guy on Hawaii Craigslist who seems to have a fat stash of KPK ukes. I don't know what KPK retail is, b/c i can't seem to find their site, but hes offering KPK tenors at $190, severely undercutting the Pono Ohai.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/1078345532.html

I wonder if this is the same guy?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-uke-KOA-PILI-KOKO-ukulele-Soprano_W0QQitemZ260376726741QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260376726741&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Ahnko Honu
03-16-2009, 07:07 PM
understood, but... by itself sure makepono = bargain, but when the root is PONO which is the name of the company, and they simply add "make" to the front, there will be questioning of the choice especially when the initial acronymn for the series was MP which could be interpreted as the separation of two words Make+Pono. for them, makepono would not be pololei, pono a name for them to use. because the prefix will denote something else. (for a fierce competitor maybe! the kaona/hidden meanings would be unending!) i admit, i see things differently.

anyways, they choose a different name so the argument is pau.

Amen, not a wise marketing move, first thing a Hawaiian sees is MAKE which can mean to barter, exchange, price BUT more commonly known to mean dead, death. NOT misinformation but another definition of the words make-pono which should be known. :rolleyes:
"Ohai" name much better choice. ;)

Back in the 60s a Korean Bicycle company by the name of Dai (pronounced die) Young tried to market bikes in the US, did not go over well. I knew a contractor named John Poore, guess what he called his company? :D His business picked up when he changed his business name from "Poore Construction". Perception of a product or service is everything.

haole
03-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Hawaiian is one of those languages where you can draw a lot of different meanings from a word based on where you think the root is. Is ukulele "jumping flea" or "the gift that came here"? ;)

The uke looks sweet, and I like the name 'Ohai. If it conjures up any other meanings, it's just a friendly "oh, hi." :B

Captain Google
03-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Hawaiian is one of those languages where you can draw a lot of different meanings from a word based on where you think the root is. Is ukulele "jumping flea" or "the gift that came here"? ;)

The uke looks sweet, and I like the name 'Ohai. If it conjures up any other meanings, it's just a friendly "oh, hi." :B

They made an accidental lolcat reference ("O HAI")? Now I must get one! :rofl:

And I already know what kind of bling to use. :D

PickNStrum
03-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I wonder if this is the same guy?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-uke-KOA-PILI-KOKO-ukulele-Soprano_W0QQitemZ260376726741QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260376726741&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 Personally I wouldn't trust this guy. For one he wont' go to the trouble to photograph the actual instrument he is selling. Secondly only has a feedback rating of 4. Third remeber if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Even the Chinese don't make a quality solid wood instruments at that price.

lacerveza
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
do these have truss rods?

FourChordWonder
03-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Didn't people used to get paid for participating in focus groups? :D

asianic68
03-23-2009, 06:04 PM
its snice..i bet it has a warm sound to it

micropilot
03-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Here is the link

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2009/01/c1925-lyon-healy-monkeypod-camp-uke.html

Harrison
05-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I just got my PONO Ohai Tenor. It looks beautiful, but the sound is a little weak with the original Koolau Gold strings. I shall replace the string and then tell everyone how I feel about it later.

Harrison
05-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Now I have my Pono Ohai Tenor for a week. I have played it for a couple of hours.
I have put Aquila Strings on it.
Overall, it sounds soft and mellow.

Sounds : Soft and Mellow
Setup : The setup is average of of the box.
Look : It is beautiful and Ohai wood is nice looking in satin finish. I personally like it very much.
Since it is solid wood, it is indeed a bargain.

cocohonk
06-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Hey, Harrison, you're from HK and you just got a Pono Ohai Tenor?

I'm from HK and am on my way to getting a Pono Ohai Concert (or a Kala all solid M or Spruce Top; I'm pretty indecisive) next week. Was it absolutely necessary to switch the strings to Aguilas immediately?

specialmike
06-13-2009, 11:17 AM
thats nice and all... but does it sound as good as it looks?