the noise they make when sliding from chord to chord or is it just that
I need to practice more? Thanks for any help. Regards
Norman2

Hi, My Kala K-AB baritone uke has D'Addario T2 strings which were
recommended by HMS when I bought it. Is there any way to minimize
the noise they make when sliding from chord to chord or is it just that
I need to practice more? Thanks for any help. Regards
Norman2

Part of it is technique, sure. However, this is an issue that classical musicians have dealt with for decades (since the combination of wound and smooth nylon strings usually makes the "squeakiness" stick out a LOT more).

What you can do - and I believe Rick Turner mentioned he does this - is to take something like a scotchbrite pad and VERY GENTLY run the wound string through it. On a technical level, you're pulling a very minute amount of the material off the string, and polishing it a bit. In simpler terms, you're making them less squeaky.

Normal play and wear takes care of it too, no?

If you're willing to go re-entrant high-D, Ken Middleton makes Living Waters all fluorocarbons.

Some of the "string-squeak" problem can be down to stickiness of the finger-tips. I find a good scrub in soap and water dries out my callouses sufficiently to eliminate the problem ... obviously this assumes you've got callouses on your fingertips ;)

My low G is "flat wound" and still quite squeaky for me. I'm going to try the Scotchbrite pad and see if it helps.

As the other guys & gals have mentioned, it's mainly a combination of technique, string type & reducing friction.
Here's another thing you may like to consider, these cloths help clean and reduce friction. It's not a cure, just something to add to your existing bag of tricks.

Attachments

• DSCN1086.jpg
    DSCN1086.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hi, Thanks all for your input, I am going to try the cleaning cloth mentioned by Camsuke and the steel wool.
Regards,
Norman2

If you're willing to go re-entrant high-D, Ken Middleton makes Living Waters all fluorocarbons.
Also makes an all unwound bari set. Which is by far the most effective technique of dealing with wound string noise. ;)

What the GHS monkey says. As I remember Rick Turner recommended 600 grit sand paper. Plus, you only really need to do this on the surface you fret, strum, and pick. So, it can be done after stringing the instrument. But if you do it this way, you'll need to mask off or otherwise protect the instrument and the other strings. What this does is polish the windings, pretty much like string makers do with some strings in manufacture.
I tried it and It seemed improved, but I'm not sure if there was less noise or not. I don't think I will bother again. I just listen to the very best classical guitarists and this reminds me the music can outshine string noise.

Chet Atkins had a neat technique to reduce squeaks and other finger noise. Before playing, he would rub his fingers on the side of his nose to pick up the oils. The oils lubricated his fingers and cut down the noise. Kinda gross, but it works.

Dunlop sells an Ultraglide string cleaner as part of their "65" product line. In comparison, string cleaning cloths are a ripoff.

I also like Dunlop's "65" lemon oil.

Am I the only one that finds the squeak noise from a wound string somewhat charming? I know it's noise but I like it, reminds me that I'm playing a unique string.

Also the nose grease trick was recommended to me as a way of piling up your fretboard.

I somewhat agree with Recstar 24. Listening to the likes of Neil Young, CSNY, etc. an occasional squeak sound is charming and I think more human. But I am the type of guy that prefers the vinyl over the CD in most cases.

Am I the only one that finds the squeak noise from a wound string somewhat charming? I know it's noise but I like it, reminds me that I'm playing a unique string.

Also the nose grease trick was recommended to me as a way of piling up your fretboard.

I agree.

Embrace the squeak!

I shall shamelessly plug one of my covers. U2, Running to standstill on a baritone ukulele with 2 wound strings,

Strings squeaking away gloriously. Its just part of the performance.

Anthony

Top Bottom