iUke Review

Nice Review... and yes it is meant to be played an octave higher like a true Piccolo instrument.

All instrument families (woodwinds, brass, voice etc) have standard ranges of Timbre\pitch from Bass, Baritone, Tenor, Soprano, and Piccolo etc... so in theory a true piccolo uke really is supposed to be played at the pitch you are playing it, an octave higher. And now that aquila has the 94u strings available, to me that is the proper pitch for these ukes or even smaller.

and you are absolutely right, a sopranino\piccolo uke or smaller would never serve as a main instrument due to the difficulty in playing it cleanly and the low volume due to it's size. (although piccolo instruments can pierce through a whole orchestra due to it's high pitch which is why orcherstras only have ONE piccolo player). But it sure is fun to play from time to time, and to me playing different size scales can only benefit you in that it conditions your hands to automatically adjust to any sized instrument rather than being stuck on a paticular scale. I play from a Nano uke up to a classical guitar. And by now my hands adjust accordingly without having to be aware of it.

I invite you to check out my demo of an Iuke here:

And if you browse my channel you will see a demo of a Nano Uke which is actually 1/3 smaller I believ that one is a 7 inch scale rather than the Iuke's 11 inch scale.

thanks for sharing your review.

ivan

Last edited:
Good review.
I tried an iuke briefly at a recent fest and found it hellish tricky to play cleanly although I expect I'd adapt with practice.
I already have a cheap Chinese Rubin sopranino, which is easier, albeit not quite as compact.

Very nice, thank you. I like your site, too.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Ivan, yeah I was only on your Youtube channel the other week and I watched that very video. That's a hell of a collection you've got on the wall!

Top Bottom