PDA

View Full Version : Classic Koa wood Uke for 179 canadian

Fodslad
03-12-2009, 04:16 AM
http://empire-music.com/Canada/English/Catalogue.cfm?ProductID=CHK%2D23

Thats delivered price. I bought there starter concert because of a recommendation from someone here (forget who) and it plays well enough. Just wondering has anyone tried this model? They are made in China but the Company rep said they have had a long term relationship with the Company and I know that they have sold lots of the starter concerts to school kids here in Canada.

Thx,
Lad

bobbitybobman
03-12-2009, 08:39 AM
179 bucks shipped for a Koa uke? Seems too good to be true. Maybe just a solid koa top?

thejumpingflea
03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
179 bucks shipped for a Koa uke? Seems too good to be true. Maybe just a solid koa top?

I doubt any of it is solid.

It says Koa wood, but it doesn't say it isn't a laminate.

Fodslad
03-12-2009, 09:18 AM
She told me that they don't make solid koa ukes any more as it is protected guess I could phone and get more details but since it is toll free maybe someone with more knowledge could. I think they may be affiliated with James Hill somehow as he recommends them on both his web sites.

I am amazed that his website that is mostly for teachers teaching his Uke Method gets so little traffic, guess he should have played gently weeps instead of the Mario theme on the Tube. He pretty much seems to answer any questions people have maybe I will ask him on that form what he knows about these Ukes.

upskydowncloud
03-12-2009, 11:51 PM
http://empire-music.com/Canada/English/Catalogue.cfm?ProductID=CHK%2D23

Thats delivered price. I bought there starter concert because of a recommendation from someone here (forget who) and it plays well enough. Just wondering has anyone tried this model? They are made in China but the Company rep said they have had a long term relationship with the Company and I know that they have sold lots of the starter concerts to school kids here in Canada.

Thx,
Lad

Hey the photo of the ukulele in that page is pretty much exactly the same as the Lanikai CK-C ukulele which I have. It's a laminate koa wood. The fret markers are the same, as is the binding, the wood, the bridge and the tuners. The headstock looks a little bit different but I wouldn't be surprised if they've taken that photo from elsewhere and used it as a stock image, or it's the same ukulele from China just rebranded.

I know the Lanikai is often mis-sold as solid koa wood, it looks like the same thing here.

grappler
03-13-2009, 01:13 AM
it wont be solid koa

Fodslad
03-13-2009, 02:35 AM
Hey the photo of the ukulele in that page is pretty much exactly the same as the Lanikai CK-C ukulele which I have. It's a laminate koa wood. The fret markers are the same, as is the binding, the wood, the bridge and the tuners. The headstock looks a little bit different but I wouldn't be surprised if they've taken that photo from elsewhere and used it as a stock image, or it's the same ukulele from China just rebranded.

I know the Lanikai is often mis-sold as solid koa wood, it looks like the same thing here.

If ya don't mind what did you pay for the Lanikai?

thx

buddhuu
03-13-2009, 03:47 AM
She told me that they don't make solid koa ukes any more as it is protected [...]

IMO, this sounds like the person you spoke to is talking nonsense. If it's protected to that kind of extent then surely it couldn't be used in laminate ukes either...?! There seem to be plenty of solid koa ukes on the market - even some at fairly low prices.