DGBE strings for Tenor

ErnieElse

Reaction score
I'm wanting to tune my Tenor down to DGBE (low D) and would like some string suggestions to best achieve this. I'm not averse to wound strings as a reasonably high tension is important to me. I really struggle to like anything that Aquila produce so other names would be preferred.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Ernie

I did this with a tenor I had a couple of years ago. I remember I strung it up with Southcoast strings and it sounded really good and the strings weren't floppy.

Just checked the Southcoast site and I'm pretty sure the set I used were the HU-NW's.

Just checked the Southcoast site and I'm pretty sure the set I used were the HU-NW's.
That's a high D set. I have the HMU-NW set on my tenor banjolele. Are you sure you want a low D on a tenor? It's going to be hard to find a string that low that won't be very floppy. I guess you'd have to look to classical guitar strings. Maybe a 5th or even 6th string (A or E) would work as a tenor D string.

Try the tenor-baritone strings from Ghs

Craig Chee has a custom set of G6 (dGBE) strings made by Ghs. I ordered a couple of sets from them and put them on my Kamaka tenor.
I really like the old school Lyle Ritz sound and his arrangements on regular C6 tuned tenor do not sound right. You really need the dGBE tuning. So I ordered a pair and was ready to be knocked out. Soon after putting them on I began to miss the regular tuning. I felt the tension want quite right.
My compromise was to pick up a old 19 inch scale Kamaka baritone which is just slightly larger than today's tenors. The lyle ritz sound came alive in this Bari.
But who knows maybe the Ghs strings will sound great on your tenor. Craig Chees uke sounds nice with them.

Hi Ernie-

I use D'Addario EJ46 on my Lanikai SMP-TCA and CK-TEK, using just the center 4 strings. Very nice sound, and durable.

-Wiggy

I had Ken Middleton's Living Waters dGBE on my tenor. If you're looking for linear, I would contact him about a custom set, which he can advise you on. Check out his site for more info.

The ADGB strings from a normal Classical guitar set should do the job. Tune it up to DGBE

Hi Ernie-

I use D'Addario EJ46 on my Lanikai SMP-TCA and CK-TEK, using just the center 4 strings. Very nice sound, and durable.

-Wiggy

:agree: Classical guitar set ADGB strings will do.

It is absolutely fun to experience the linear DGBE tuning on tenor ukulele. I have also tried and love it.

Only a warm remind. The D3 note (or "low D" note) and the few notes above it (i.e. D#, E, F, F#) , on a tenor ukulele, may not be able to fully resonance (depending on your tenor ukulele's design) . Or sometimes there is a wolf note in one of those.

Enjoy :music:

Top Bottom