Book set: Making the responsive guitar

gspears

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have heard that this 2 book set is a great guide to building guitars or (ukuleles). The set is pretty pricey, about $225. Has anyone read them? I'm not sure if they would be too over the top for me since I have not seen them in person. Any info would be appreciated.

I have the Gilet/Gore Books. If you are just starting out it is a good place to begin. Mind you it goes through the guitar like an engineering text. You could skip the measurements and math and take the principals to build with, lot of good pictures also. I am curious about the Somogyi books but can not justify dropping another wad of cash.

I had a huge library of lutherie books, and I sold all of them but the Big Red Books. The BRBs are wonderful for serendipitous browsing. Video tutelage has made books obsolete. Robbie O'Brien's online steelstring guitar course is excellent, and Robbie tells me that he has lined up a uke builder to teach a series. The uke course may be a year or more out, however. The accumulated time I spent reading lutherie material probably adds up to several months 24 hours a day, and most of that would have been better spent in the shop. The MyaMoe (?) videos are better viewing than real TV, they will teach you what you need to know, and they are free. Spend your money on tools and wood.

Top Bottom