Hippie's New Uke Build

H

Hippie Dribble

Hi everyone,

it's been some while since I created a thread like this.

I have recently commissioned a custom instrument from a fellow whose work I've long admired. This is one I hope to keep ahold of and not fall into my usual and endlessly frustrating cycle of buying and selling.

It will be a special instrument to me for a number of reasons.

Here are some initial images.

I wonder if you can discern what woods are being used?

I shall keep it updated as I am able until completion.

barron river build 1.jpgbaron river build 2.jpgbarron river build 3.jpg

Not sure of the woods Jon, but Allen is very talented and I'm sure it is going to be a stunner. Both sounding and looking. Concert size?

Looking good! Are those woods from Australian/Tazmanian? Top looks a little like bear claw spruce.

I bet ya those woods...........come from trees. That's my guess, could be wrong.

Looks Like Jakes ukes cedar top rosewood back.. probably not but congratulations

Good guess Bruddah, but no. Very similar body shape to the Hive's though isn't it. Didn't realise that until you mentioned it. Thanks for the reply Stan.

Not sure of the woods Jon, but Allen is very talented and I'm sure it is going to be a stunner. Both sounding and looking. Concert size?

You picked the builder no probs Dana! Could be a concert...... :)

Looking good! Are those woods from Australian/Tazmanian? Top looks a little like bear claw spruce.

Oooh, good surmising Doc. But I'll hold off some and see if anymore folks would like to hazard a guess. But I will say it's not bearclaw spruce.

Top: IKEA

Back: Bunnings Warehouse

/runs

Oh yeah, your prize Niq...I know you're hangin on it. I is gonna build you one of your own. Thinkin melamine top (just cause I'm lazy and I hate the finishing process), plasterboard body, toilet seat fretboard, hand made tuners out of bdoorknobs. Reckon you'll be pleased with her bro. I wouldn't serve you up just anything. Let me know if you'd like any further customisation done and I'll nod then tell you to find another builder. It'll be your loss.

Oh yeah, your prize Niq...I know you're hangin on it. I is gonna build you one of your own. Thinkin melamine top (just cause I'm lazy and I hate the finishing process), plasterboard body, toilet seat fretboard, hand made tuners out of bdoorknobs. Reckon you'll be pleased with her bro. I wouldn't serve you up just anything. Let me know if you'd like any further customisation done and I'll nod then tell you to find another builder. It'll be your loss.

The gold element in all this is that you can use the endpin as a flush button, given the soundhole will be sculpted to the shape of your ass. It's genius I know. No need to thank me. You earnt it mate.

Cheers Dave. It's sure got that look at me I'm spruce and mahogany - which is also a fab combo - but na mate. Not for this one. If anyone stays interested in the thread I'll let y'all know after a few more stabs.

Oh those wonderful Barron Rivers...It was your demo video of the mahogony concert which convinced me to buy one. And I have loved every minute of playing it. I'm sure one day I'll ask Allen to build me another, once I can decide which one of several recipes I want him to follow.

Top Bottom