Pekelo uke books?

Recstar24

Reaction score
Would love some feedback on the pekelo books. I have loved and learned so much from Aaron keim's fingerstyle book but I've played through it all many times and looking for a new challenge. I've always been a book learner as a student, and the pekelo books appear up my alley.

I have the mark Nelson Mel bay book but it might be just a bit of a stretch ability wise at the moment. However I'm a classically trained musician and music educator so I understand and am very proficient in music theory.

Pekelo offers a book 1 and 2 - would book 1 be too easy for my background, or are the books meant to be purchased as a set and done as a sequence?

I went through both books maybe the second year I was playing - they are really, really good! But do keep in mind they are arranged for low G - if you're not into that, then they may not be for you.

It's been a while since I've seen them but if my memory is correct, Book 1 has some challenging stuff in it that might be just about right for you if you consider the Mark Nelson book a bit of a stretch. I'd suggest getting both because as long as you keep playing, you'll eventually grow into the second one.

Thank you for the comments. The mark Nelson book is great, but I know where I am at ability wise and while it is a good challenge that is within my grasp, I can feel there is a level right below it where I would be more successful. Sounds like book 1 is right in the gap, and will be a little more difficult than the Aaron keim book.

Thanks for this thread. I need to check out the Mark Nelson book as well as the Pekelo books.

Thank you for the comments. The mark Nelson book is great, but I know where I am at ability wise and while it is a good challenge that is within my grasp, I can feel there is a level right below it where I would be more successful. Sounds like book 1 is right in the gap, and will be a little more difficult than the Aaron keim book.

Yes, Pekelo's first book is below the level of the Nelson book. They are both great.

How does the 2nd book compare?

Also, is the fingering technique thumb index middle or thumb index middle ring?

I have his second book. You can see a link with the pictures of the pages here http://www.pekelosbooks.com/index.php

The second book starts out with 16th notes and dotted eighth notes. There are also some triplet quarter note rhythms. If you are not secure in your playing of eighth note and dotted quarter notes, then I would suggest not starting in book 2. There are tied eights and sixteenth notes and they are often carried into the next measure. He also expects some speed with the playing. The book requires you to play with all your fingers. Most of the chords are picked with the four fingers, unless using a quick right hand arpeggio technique.

The good thing about his books is the Cd that is included. You can hear how the notes are played which is very helpful for more difficult rhythms. I will play along with him and then start working with a metronome. He has a metronome on all the exercises on the recording. You can hear some of the exercises if you click on the link in this post.

The book will improve your technique and rhythm greatly if you work at it. You need to go slow and not rush it. I devote about 45 minutes a day to the book. I then play some other music and work on new songs. I've noticed that my music skills have improved when playing other music. Hawaiian music has a certain feel and groove to it. It was more difficult then I thought it would be. I was comfortable with Jazz and swing notes but the island music is a little different. It's hard to describe but when you begin to play it, you will see.

I have had a blast learning Hawaiian songs and I'm more than halfway through the book. It is an uplifting experience to play them. I always have a smile afterwards.

The book requires a metronome to play with. Especially if you plan on getting up to the speed that he plays some of the songs.

I hope this helps you out. I believe if someone took their time and learned the songs and exercises well in this book that their playing would improve dramatically.

Last edited:
I like the Pekelo books very much. It helps to be interested in arrangements of older Hawaiian tunes, though (I am). These methods are excellent for learning fingerstyle fundamentals like rhythm and tone. I started with Book 2, and played along with the CD over and over. Really good way to develop technique. Pekelo would also be great preparation for playing classical or even celtic fingerstyle. Pekelo's approach is for low G tuning, although my high G fingerstyle improved too.

Does anyone know how to get these to the UK? I emailed the address on the website but I just get a message not delivered notification.
The PayPal link on the website just takes me to generic paypal.com.
Thanks for any help!
Matt

Book 1 came in today. It is fantastic. I flew through, and am at the final 3 songs that wraps up the book. Very nice learning curve, my first real challenge was towards the end with one of the exercises where the 2nd fret is barred across the whole exercise while you do a typical Hawaiian progression. The last few exercises really require you to use the pinky, which is good because that is my weakest and least used finger. One of the final exercises requires eminor fingered as 4432 which is challenging, and G as 4232 - both require pinky usage and that is tough for sure, but I am getting there.

Top Bottom