Good Low G Strings?

DoodlesMcDeezleLippy

Reaction score
Hey,
I think i'm gonna get some low g tuning strings for my tenor and i was wondering what kind of strings i should get. If it helps at all I really like the sound of my aquila nylguts right now but if there's anything that sound like them except in low G that would be awesome.
Thanks.

Doodles

I use Savarez Alliance high tension classical guitar D strings (the blue package) for my low G.

The strings are long lasting and sound great.

I usually by from juststrings.com.

If you're looking for something cheaper Augustine strings are also decent.

:shaka:

I use a Worth low G. It's unwound, fat, and has a mellow sound. The wound strings will be a bit brighter and you can tell when you change strings (C to G). Listen to 'Ukulele Breeze by Herb Ohta Jr. You can really tell in some of his songs. He uses Worth now though. Low Gs are the bomb.

I'll put in another vote for the Worth CT-LG strings...I have them on my Kanile`a tenor and they sound and feel great. (Bear in mind when look at the price that the strings are long enough to give you two sets.)

are the worths wound, or unwound? i've been looking for a low G set that's unwound because the wound drowns out the nylon. good sound but not an even sound. and i know I've posted a thread on the LOW G already but any other sites besides juststrings.com and MGM?

are the worths wound, or unwound? i've been looking for a low G set that's unwound because the wound drowns out the nylon. good sound but not an even sound. and i know I've posted a thread on the LOW G already but any other sites besides juststrings.com and MGM?
The Worths are unwound. I got mine from Elderly.

I like Daddario J4804's.

Deach, Amazing. I don't know of anyone else that knows that string by number. If you haven't blended them with the T4601/2/3, you should (if you like carbon strings, you'll like the Titanium no problem).

Doodles, if you like Aquila, you probably won't like anything else, unless you want something with less brashness, more complexity, etc etc etc, stay with the Aquila low G.

Thanks for all the advice you guys, It was really helpful. I think I've decided on the aquilas, and if I don't like those than its still only 6 bucks.

Deach, Amazing. I don't know of anyone else that knows that string by number. If you haven't blended them with the T4601/2/3, you should (if you like carbon strings, you'll like the Titanium no problem).

Doodles, if you like Aquila, you probably won't like anything else, unless you want something with less brashness, more complexity, etc etc etc, stay with the Aquila low G.

Lauron turned me on to these. Just strings no longer carry them though. I bought the last 2 packs.

I have a set of Savarez Alliance and the J4804 on one Ogata and the T2's and J4804 on my boat paddle. I think I like the Savarez better for the tension.

I got my Pono PTSE the other day (man I love that thing) and it came set up with Ko'olau golds with a wound low g. They were ok but the best description I can come up with is they were a little too fat and therefore kind of difficult to make them sing.

I took off the the c e and a strings and replaced them with Worth CT. I left the low wound g on from Ko'olau cause I didn't have a low g Worth string.

I really like the sound I am getting now - very crisp and clear but still with that wonderful low g hum.

just put in an order of the worth's clear LOW G tenor set from elderly. thanks cpatch. i hope they arrive this week because i'm so anxious to change the strings on both my ukes.

cannot go wrong with the worths... i just bought a pair of browns a couple days ago from mike. and it arrived yesterday. i was actually shocked that i was here so fast.

Just praising mike a little bit... the payment didnt even go through yet and he sent it off already. The trust factor between him and his clients are gold.
the payment did go through later though.
got my browns on my A string and the rest are clear

Last edited:
Worth Browns with Gold wound low g on my Pono Tenor. Wow!! So sweet & mellow. The Gold low g is very balanced with the Browns.

Last edited:
Worth Browns with Gold wound low g on my Pono Tenor. Wow!! So sweet & mellow. The Gold low g is very balanced with the Browns.

That's my same experience with the clears and the Ko'olau wound low g - except the clears add a little punch too.

I did a review of them on the Pono PTSE in the attached video. :cheers:

To quote by bud Kekani:
If you want the "matched"(pro arte) string for classical guitar, it'll be the J4604 Silver wound high tension. I recently discovered the J4804 Gold (80/20 bronze wound), which, to me, has a more transparent transition from wound to unwound. The 4604 has more punch to it, and may suit well with the Pono. Of course, if you want a softer string, go with the J4504 (or J4704 Gold). The Gold is also more mellow in tone, and not as "powerful" as Ledward described them to me. He plays slack key, so his bass string is played as a bass string.

Top Bottom