Changing chords without dropping the uke

Ukettante

Reaction score
Hi, guys,

I tried searching the forum for an answer, and I think I got it, but am posting just to be sure.

One specific example of my problem is going from Am to D7, first position. I tried various ways, including "not thinking about it." When I don't think about it, I look down, and I realize my other fingers are doing tiny, quick clandestine movements to prop up the neck in between the chords. Hmm. Probably not ideal.

Is it OK in the uke world to change the fingering so that you can transition into the next chord smoothly? In this case, it would mean fingering Am with you index instead of the regular middle finger.

Some forum members have advised "practice and more practice," presumably using standard fingering. Does that hold true even for Am to D7? If the answer is simply "change the fingering whenever necessary," then I got it. No problem.

Use a strap, then you can use any fingering necessary, both to play the required chord and to fit in with the previous and subsequent chords ... no problem :)

Sorry, but I don't seem to see a problem you can't overcome here. Sorry you are having difficulty. When I play Am, I am using my middle finger and my ring finger is naturally over the 1st string, third fret by rotating my hand ever-so-slightly down. My forefinger just drops down to barre the second fret and voila....! Slight rotation of the hand towards either the headstock or body will facilitate many tricky chords (such as E) and changes. I hope this makes sense to you and.......yes, LOL, keep on practicing. Search Youtube for tutorials on how to play tricky chords, or anything else for that matter, by searching Ukulele, how to...and enter the appropriate search term. Good luck.....help is always on the way here. If you are right handed, your right forearm should be holding the uke tight enough to keep it from slipping unless you are wearing long sleeves with a "slippery" fabric. I only use straps for my banjo and solid body electrics.

PS: I am usually transitioning from A7 to D7

Last edited:
It's just a case of find what works really.

I see the point you're making - what you're saying is that the transition in your example Am to D7 leaves a point where there's a period of time with no fingers pressed down on the fretboard to help support your uke. By repetition you'll get very fast at this so that period of time is almost non-existent and the problem will just go away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5rHDrJ6Ko

Jake did not use a strap a few years ago. Now he does. Perhaps he had the same issue as you, ukettante.

Agree w kypfer: my experience is that practice will not help as much as getting a strap. :D

Jake did not use a strap a few years ago. Now he does. Perhaps he had the same issue as you, ukettante.

Agree w kypfer: my experience is that practice will not help as much as getting a strap. :D

i think he said his shoulders started to hurt from supporting the uke and the strap is a huge help considering how he like to move when playing

Unless it does :music: Most ukers don't find them necessary, but if you do, by all means get one if it helps. Object is to have fun. Many strap lovers here on UU. As I said, I use them when I need one. Rotator cuff and related tendon problems can be disabling for many.

Last edited:
If the answer is simply "change the fingering whenever necessary," then I got it. No problem.
Yes, that is the answer. You have no problem.

Soprano and even concerts fit in the crook of your right arm in most cases... so I don't use a strap with these ukes... and have no problem leaving my left hand free to move around. With Tenors, I use a strap as it leaves both hands completely free for changing cords and strumming\finger picking etc...

what Olarte says: anything up to concert size should be held mostly with your right arm against your chest, leaving just a little bit "supporting work" to the left thumb (!)
Strumming comes from your wrist, not from your forearm (after all, you're playing ukulele, not a tiny guitar)

And you might want to try playing an open D7, sometimes referred to as "hawaiian": 2020

Last edited:
OK. I got up this morning and read through everyone's advice. I think what it comes down to, for me at least, is more practice. I tried switching from Am to D7 nonstop for a full minute, and noticed some improvement. Gotta come clean. Coming from the guitar world, I'm guilty of being presumptious when it comes to learning the uke. I'm very patient when practicing the guitar, but less so with the uke, because I wrongly assume: If I can do this on the guitar, I should be able to do the same on the tiny uke easily!

As a zen master would advise me, I need to approach the uke with an empty cup, not a full cup. I'll put in some honest practice time with the uke.

PS: something Louis said has intrigued me. Lots of people have said the strum comes from the wrist, yet on the Ukulele Toolbox video, Bob Brozman specifically said the strum comes from the forearm, strumming down with the thumb, and up with the index. Hmm. Need to experiment with both.

Last edited:
OK. I got up this morning and read through everyone's advice. I think what it comes down to, for me at least, is more practice. I tried switching from Am to D7 nonstop for a full minute, and noticed some improvement. Gotta come clean. Coming from the guitar world, I'm guilty of being presumptious when it comes to learning the uke. I'm very patient when practicing the guitar, but less so with the uke, because I wrongly assume: If I can do this on the guitar, I should be able to do the same on the tiny uke easily!

As a zen master would advise me, I need to approach the uke with an empty cup, not a full cup. I'll put in some honest practice time with the uke.

PS: something Louis said has intrigued me. Lots of people have said the strum comes from the wrist, yet on the Ukulele Toolbox video, Bob Brozman specifically said the strum comes from the forearm, strumming down with the thumb, and up with the index. Hmm. Need to experiment with both.

Strumming should definitely come from the rolling wrist and forearm, if you are to support the uke against your body with your right forearm. Point your index finger so it is perdendicular to the fret board, tip touching the strings. Rocking the hand and index finger up and down across the strings is a rolling type motion. Guitar strumming is different because you move your whole forearm and hand up and down as a single unit by hinging at the elbow. This movement will not allow you to keep the forearm pressed against the uke and the uke pressed into your body, freeing up the left hand from supporting the neck.

Or do like I do and have a strap for every uke no matter the size

I will only use a strap, works best for me.

Regarding the strumming from forearm and/or wrist question you might like to watch some of the product review/demo videos by HawaiiMusicSupply on youtube

That's a good approach in any case ;-)

I always use a strap. It just makes everything more comfortable... fretting, picking and strumming. Make sure whatever you are doing is not going to cause you long term problems for your neck, shoulder, back, arms, wrists or hands. Sometimes we are concentrating so hard, that we don't realize there is a problem until we stop.

–Lori

I'm not a strap fan. I have some ukes with straps, but honestly... I prefer to go without. (the only time I really NEEDED a strap was when I was VERY preggo.)

Roll up your sleeve a little. Skin to uke contact makes for a better grip. I have a belly and boobs, and it still works. The only thing you really need is practice. (some will advise an unnecessarily ungodly amount of scaffolding in addition to a strap. Practice is the answer.)

You can do it!

I have straps on all but the sopranos (which I don't play much) and my Luna concert. I don't know why some Ukers fight using them. They're a big help.

I really like the Uke Leash type. They work well. :eek:ld:

Lets just cut the strap discussion here, it doesn't lead anywhere....
I think we can all agree that using a strap (of whatever kind) or not is apparently a matter of personal preference, just like playing low-g or re-entrant.

There is not THE right way, you've got to find out for yourself what and when suits YOU best.

A strap can help holding the uke, but it won't save you from practicing the chord changes.

Top Bottom