PDA

View Full Version : Nud

kkimura
06-08-2015, 08:21 AM
Last week I was visiting relatives in Hawaii who had been asked by the "finance manager" to discourage me from buying a ukulele so naturally we hit all the ukulele shops on Oahu. The only thing was we found that Kamaka ukulele are not easy to find (HMS included).

On the last day, four hours before my flight, I walked into Island Guitars and found a wall of Kamaka. Needless to say I found a HF3 that sounded so good that I had to get it.

Note: No relatives were harmed by my transgression and for some reason I got a pass from the "finance manager" too!

:D

DownUpDave
06-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Well.......Happy Nud and congratulations. Both on the beautiful new Kamaka and escaping the wrath of the " Finance Manager". Very well done on both accounts.

Gotta love the Kamaka headstock and logo, so classy.

wayfarer75
06-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Nice score! Those Kamakas are stealthy critters; glad you found some! And you need to become the Finance Manager; I just did. Hehehe...

kkimura
06-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Well.......Happy Nud and congratulations. Both on the beautiful new Kamaka and escaping the wrath of the " Finance Manager". Very well done on both accounts.

Gotta love the Kamaka headstock and logo, so classy.

Thanks, it was a win, win deal.

kkimura
06-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Nice score! Those Kamakas are stealthy critters; glad you found some! And you need to become the Finance Manager; I just did. Hehehe...

Yeah, got lucky at the last minute. But, no can be da finance manager, spend money all da time!

Doc_J
06-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Excellent. It wouldn't have been a complete visit to Hawaii if you didn't get your Kamaka HF-3.

Osprey
06-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Congrats, you can't go to Hawaii and leave without an ukulele, if you get an ukulele you might as well get one that's worthwhile getting. So you did exactly what you should have done
Cliff

kkimura
06-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Excellent. It wouldn't have been a complete visit to Hawaii if you didn't get your Kamaka HF-3.

Congrats, you can't go to Hawaii and leave without an ukulele, if you get an ukulele you might as well get one that's worthwhile getting. So you did exactly what you should have done
Cliff

My thoughts exactly. My nephew, an accomplished musician, was trying to steer me towards a very good sounding and more "bang for the buck" Islander, but the Kamaka's call was louder.

Camsuke
06-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Nice work KKimura, glad to see you followed all the correct protocols regarding this purchase! Enjoy!!!

Uncle Leroy
06-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Awesome Uke. Congrats.

Ukulele Eddie
06-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Nice score!

Hippie Dribble
06-08-2015, 01:33 PM
Haha. I need your finance manager brother!!!! Congratulations on a beautiful, classic instrument!

Nickie
06-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Awesome, I love Kamakas! Congratulations!

gregc
06-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Well done!

sam13
06-09-2015, 01:12 AM
Bet way to do it. That way you got a chance to see everything and know you got exactly what you wanted.

Congrats.

Cornfield
06-09-2015, 01:29 AM
've cycled through several very nice ukuleles but keep coming back to my HF3 and HF38. Glad you found one that you like.

kkimura
06-09-2015, 07:55 AM
Mahalo to everybody for your kind comments!

I've been doing back to back runs through a bunch of songs with all three ukes and finding better tone, sustain and dynamic range with the Kamaka. I'm a very happy camper!

coolkayaker1
06-09-2015, 09:09 AM
A Kamaka Koa in New Hampshire. Who woulda thunk it? :D

Congrats, brother kkimura. Be sure have Greg Hawkes strum it if he comes again to your shindig (where'd he go, anyhow? No posting or videos from the ukulele-loving Car in a while). Cheers.

stevepetergal
06-09-2015, 09:17 AM
It's beautiful.
Can't wait to hear it.

Pippin
06-09-2015, 11:05 AM
May it give you a life-time of pleasure.

kkimura
06-10-2015, 04:14 AM
What to do, what to do? Got a uke club session coming up and part of me wants to show off my new ukulele. Another part of me is struggling under the "be polite and low profile in public" thing ingrained in me as a child growing up in a conservative Asian family.

Osprey
06-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Show your Uke. Most people will be keen to see it. You don't have to crow about it. It will attract admirers just by itself
Cliff

Trinimon
06-10-2015, 11:06 AM
LOL, glad you found one before going home! Congrats!

mm stan
06-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Congratulations on your new kamaka, and glad you made it here for a vacation. Yes did you buy it from
Peter.. he is very nice. I would have sold you one of mine happy strummings

DownUpDave
06-10-2015, 02:39 PM
What to do, what to do? Got a uke club session coming up and part of me wants to show off my new ukulele. Another part of me is struggling under the "be polite and low profile in public" thing ingrained in me as a child growing up in a conservative Asian family.

I understand your feelings completely. I have a few high end ukes but always felt self conscious about showing up to uke jams with them. There were a number of much better players than myself with much less expensive ukuleles.

One day I decided to bring my Mya Moe tenor and I am so glad I did. People just wanted to look it over and I encouraged any and all to play it if they wished. I went from feeling sheepish to feeling like I had shared something special and helped to contribute to other peoples enjoyment.

Give yourself the time you need to make the leap.........but definitely make that leap. You and others around you will feel good for it.

kkimura
06-11-2015, 04:14 AM
Good advice all around, thanks!

Who would have thought that buying a ukulele could be be so complicated. Maybe I'm over thinking it and just need to sit down and play it. :D

kkimura
06-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Congratulations on your new kamaka, and glad you made it here for a vacation. Yes did you buy it from
Peter.. he is very nice. I would have sold you one of mine happy strummings

Yes, I believe it was Peter. Both Peter and Neil answered my questions, very nice guys to deal with.

Sorry, didn't know you had some for sale.