help me name this chord (pretty pleeeease?)

kneedleknees

Reaction score
so I was plunkin around on my uke (living at home and my mom's asleep one room over so guitar or banjo would just be obnoxious) and tripped on a chord, some kind of d. I'd like to say a d7 variant. absolutely fell in love with, has a very Who-like sound combined with regular d major. holding it down on the fretboard it's: g - 2nd fret, c - 2nd fret, e - 3rd fret, a - 3rd fret. looked on some chord charts but haven't had any luck. anyone know the name of this chord? I'd like to use it on guitar and banjo (if on the latter I'm strumming chords instead of pickin it). any help would be appreciated

We'd tab that as 2233. I push it up a semitone to 3344 in my chord-melody run of Ain't She Sweet, starting: 0453-3344-0232 with the melody on the E string. It sounds just right on my Kala 6-string tenor with the C and A strings doubled in octaves but rather sour on a standard soprano or tenor. Oh well, nothing's perfect.

I call that Danno7maj...;-D

Context is everything.

If it's a "Tonic" (for simplicity, last chord in the key of C) then it's "C69" or "C6/9" or even CM13 if it's putting on airs . .

If it moves to a G chord, then it's probably "Something in the D family," so D7sus4

Notewise, it's a'd'g'c'', so you could also call it Am11 and probably a few other things as well.

Like I said, context is EVERYTHING.

I think we should call it "Frank".

Frank is a good name.
I am getting confused. Are the notes g c e a tabbed 2 (a) 4 (e) 3 (g) 3 (c) = Am7 or C6. Or
2(a) 2(d) 3(g) 3(c) = the names above.
The OP question says the notes are gcea, but later posts have a d in the chord.

He mentioned it was G and C on the 2nd fret and E and A strings on the 3rd Bill.

On my reading a 2233 chord is a D7sus or an F6/9, or as he shall now be known, "Frank".

Context is everything.

If it's a "Tonic" (for simplicity, last chord in the key of C) then it's "C69" or "C6/9" or even CM13 if it's putting on airs . .

If it moves to a G chord, then it's probably "Something in the D family," so D7sus4

Notewise, it's a'd'g'c'', so you could also call it Am11 and probably a few other things as well.

Like I said, context is EVERYTHING.

Yes, I agree. And since the OP wrote that it has a very "Who-like" sound to his/her ears, I'd call it a D7sus4. Pete Townshend uses these sus chords often. Think of his quickly strummed guitar chords in "Pinball Wizard" or the opening to his great uke song, "Blue, Red and Grey".

Now I see.
Here is a link to study how Pete Townsend of the Who played according to a guitar magazine. For your ukulele just look at the chord names and find them in your chord book, the diagrams are for guitar.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/artist-...tta-do-to-play-like-pete-townshend--tab/16937

Thanks. I enjoyed reading that.

Another thing that is interesting about this chord is that it is an excellent example of "Quartal Harmony", that is, harmony based on fourths. It's used a lot in modern jazz such as in the music of pianist McCoy Tyner.

Try holding the same shape of that chord while playing a major or minor scale on the A string. Use the same shape as a passing chord between the scale notes for tension and back to the scale note for release.

This kind of harmony lends a certain kind of ambiguity to the music; there is no major or minor third in it to give it a "happy" or "sad" sound. This is also something Rob MacKillop has pointed out as providing much of the unique beauty to the traditional Scottish music he has arranged for guitar.

Top Bottom