NUD! Kinnard Soprano

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
My Kinnard arrived today (a day early). Andrew at HMS experimented with some other strings after Corey's demo and based on the ones he tried, he liked the Reds the best. I'm a fan of Reds and have used them on quite a few ukes.

It's a Kinnard so of course the craftsmanship is precise and beautifully executed. The figuring in the claro walnut body is fabulous. Playability is excellent. I'm absolutely loving the 1 1/2 inch, satin finish neck.

I'm truly impressed with the sound. It has a depth and richness that I find truly satisfying.

I'll post some pics tomorrow so my NUD officially "happened" and wil try to include a short sound sample.

Congrats, Eddie!

Congratulations Eddie. Same with Cam, can't wait to hear you play it.

Yay! I look forward to seeing and hearing the finished product!

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it.

I mean...people, people, people...you can't post a NUD without pic's!!!

Hey Eddie........that must feel like Christmas coming a day early. Very exciting, congrats. Someone won't sleep much tonight :smileybounce:

With you on this one Danno. It's the 11th commandment. :p

Congrats, it is a real eye catcher.

Amen on that one. I am salivating. And will toss and turn all night. But at least it has a radius neck. Phew. :rulez:

Okie dokie, folks. Below are some photos of my John S. Kinnard Series 2 Custom Soprano to make it "official."

]
18628479636_c95a41fa7b_z.jpg

And here are a couple next to the Timms, so you can get a sense for the larger body of the Kinnard:

18657008801_ac4e5eb727_z.jpg

18467026040_c581d64081_z.jpg

For those who are interested and previously missed it, here is the link to the album with the build progress (https://www.flickr.com/gp/132994836@N07/91ED34). Some of the photos in the album are of Doug's build (@dirtiestkidever). His has the gorgeous koa binding.

I'm really, really impressed with this uke. The finish is perfect as you'd expect. The tone is rich and full. Quite remarkable, actually. I understand why Andrew called this his "Holy Grail" of sopranos. A few of you mentioned an interest in getting one and I can say with considerable confidence that I can't imagine anyone would be less than thrilled. HMS is the only place to score one. Anybody in LA is welcome to come check mine out. The wait time is a very reasonable 6 months at the moment, but I won't be surprised if that starts to stretch out as most master luthiers of this quality have a 10-12+ month wait.

Sound sample in the works...Off to record take 732.;-) Maybe tomorrow...

Last edited:
Just fabulous ... really special. How do you enjoy the sound port?

I am gonna get one of these ... What for the tone wood? Perhaps Engelmann Spruce ... and a SS ... yeah, baby.

I agree Simon.

Wow is that walnut something or what. Love that larger body shape. It must sound like honey.

The tone is rich and full. Quite remarkable, actually. I understand why Andrew called this his "Holy Grail" of sopranos.

Sound sample in the works...Off to record take 732.;-) Maybe tomorrow...

Now that's some high praise from a guy who knows his stuff. Andrew doesn't say those kind of things lightly. Gee. Looking forward to a sound sample Eddie and hopefully one from Doug too would be grand. Congrats again fellas.

Beautiful! Ready to let go of the Hive now? :D Just kidding...

Just fabulous ... really special. How do you enjoy the sound port?

I am gonna get one of these ... What for the tone wood? Perhaps Engelmann Spruce ... and a SS ... yeah, baby.

I love the sound port. And I think if you told me I could only have one uke in this world, I would take this with the concert neck. It would provide great versatility and excellent playability. Mine has a 1 1/2 inch neck, which I'm also very pleased with. The neck is a bit thicker than I expected but there is something about it that fits my hand perfectly. And the satin-finish neck is perfect. Yes, ask for the "Eddie Special" (1 1/2, satin-finish neck). ;-)

Of the four of these that have been built, 3 have western red cedar and one redwood. John and Kevin don't think spruce is the right top for this body size & shape and they recommend softer tops. The other top I thought about was Port Oxford Cedar, but Kevin was very, very impressed with the WRC that they had on hand so I took his suggestion. I'm very glad I did.

Top Bottom