String Peeling after only a month?

SoloRule

Reaction score
I have this set of brand new Southcoast strings on my brand new Pono for under a month.
The A string started to peel this week and it has gotten worse. Just wondering if this has happened to any of you?
I replaced the damaged A string with Oasis but the remaining are still Southcoast. I hope it's OK.FullSizeRender.jpg
See picture attached.

Nope, never, and I have Southcoast strings on my Pono tenor 6 string, my Mele 6 string concert with no problems. Contact Dirk at Southcoast post haste and he'll make it right.

There has recently been a similar thread here. In post #27, I have been reporting the same issue (A string fraying) with a set of new Southcoast HML-RW.

Exact same brand and A string with precisely the same issue: fraying, peeling string. I had a suspicion it might be the same brand before I clicked on your thread for the details, Solo. Mine was, maybe, two months after I put it on; a soprano, as I recall. I have never, ever had this issue with any other string.

Dirk said it can be related to any nick or imperfection in the string, which could have happened at SC, or by me when I put it on. That said, he replaced it immediately, completely free of charge, by mail.

I love SC strings, and used them on several ukes; still would if I needed an uncommon string package. But, with the price as it is (high), I have moved on to use other strings (mainly Fremont Blacklines, from Japan, which are $8 per set from Elderly and others, with 15% more off if you wait for their sale, like they had last month; or Martin strings or Aquilas which are always around $5 a set).

Dirk will do you right.

Last edited:
Haven't heard of this with southcoasts before. Sure have with worth clears though. Many times with their bottom A's. Sheez, buggers those things are sometimes, as good as they sound.

But, the good news: next to Andrew at HMS, Dirk is the epitome of awesomeness as a person and as a seller. He will, as others have mentioned ad nauseum here, sort things out before your kettle's even boiled.

this email just came in From Andrew at HMS:

I haven't seen that before either. Could you send these pics to Dirk at Southcoast at - sales@southcoastukes.com and see if he will send you another set. Let me know what he says and if he doesn't help you out then we will. Thank you and my apologies for the trouble.
Aloha,

Andrew Kitakis
www.theukulelesite.com
Shop (808)622-8000
Cell (808)781-9168
JUN 09, 2015 | 02:06AM HST

This just happened to my Southcoast HML-RW A string as well..

I've heard of stories like this on a few types of fluorocarbon strings - not just Southcoasts lately. I figure it is down to the original line manufacturers and some faulty batches getting out there. Certainly not normal.

This happened to two worth clear a strings for me. Mya moe took care of me and sent me replacement a strings immediately. Just ordered a set of HML-RW's, see how that goes ;)

I have this set of brand new Southcoast strings on my brand new Pono for under a month.
The A string started to peel this week and it has gotten worse. Just wondering if this has happened to any of you?
I replaced the damaged A string with Oasis but the remaining are still Southcoast. I hope it's OK.View attachment 80424
See picture attached.

Yes especially that E and A strings. They were peeling within weeks. I'm still using them.

No peeling, but the last two sets of Southcoasts I used had the A string snap on me. The first when I was installing them, the second the next day. I have two more sets left but haven't bothered to try them and went back to using my Savarez. It is too bad, I really have loved Southcoast in the past. But now after being out the money for two sets that didn't last 24 hours, I am hesitant to order them again. That being said, they were always great for me before so I would consider them again - just not as my first choice.

When something like this happens, it is good to contact the seller. Dirk at SC will do you right. Of course you want to get your money's worth, but you need to let him know what happened.

No peeling, but the last two sets of Southcoasts I used had the A string snap on me. The first when I was installing them, the second the next day. I have two more sets left but haven't bothered to try them and went back to using my Savarez. It is too bad, I really have loved Southcoast in the past. But now after being out the money for two sets that didn't last 24 hours, I am hesitant to order them again. That being said, they were always great for me before so I would consider them again - just not as my first choice.

I use Living Waters fluorocarbons on several of my ukes and have for some time and never had any issues whatsoever.

When something like this happens, it is good to contact the seller. Dirk at SC will do you right. Of course you want to get your money's worth, but you need to let him know what happened.

Thanks - I actually bought them at HMS. I didn't want Andrew to be out the money and so just figured it was my bad luck.

I must have horseshoes. I have the HML- RW on two tenors with no issues. I have the mediums on another tenor with no issues. Worth clears on two others and all is good. These are between one and eight months old with a lot of playing time.

Of course I have just jinked myself. But as others have said Dirk is great and will take care of any SC string issues.

Last edited:
I must have horseshoes. I have the HML- RW on two tenors with no issues. I have the mediums on another tenor with no issues. Worth clears on two others and all is good. These are between one and eight months old with a lot of playing time.

Of course I have just jinked myself. But as others have said Dirk is great and will take care of any SC string issues.

I will need you to re do all my strings if Dirk replace the set. Thanks in advance Mr String Man! :)

Not to hijack the thread, but as we await Solo to post what Dirk tells him, can anyone tell me: what are Fremont Blacklines? Nylon, right? They're kind of matte and not really slippery (like KoOlau strings, which are shiny and slippery nylon). Thanks for any answers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom