Feel like giving up

philrab66

Reaction score
As title says. Bought a fairly good uke at christmas now has a lose brace:mad: will they honour guarantee if you have fitted strap pin, just one on bout?

Depending on how you added a strap button, you might have knocked the brace loose. If that is the case, it can be reglued. Most manufacturers will not find fault with a strap button in the neck, but, on the bout, that's another story. You might just call or email the maker and ask.

As title says. Bought a fairly good uke at christmas now has a lose brace:mad: will they honour guarantee if you have fitted strap pin, just one on bout?

Do you feel like giving up playing the uke because a brace is loose? If I gave up every time I screwed something up I would never have finished anything, cause I screw up a lot.

Hell every song I try to learn gets screwed up a 100 ways till Sunday, but we must stay the course. If Christopher Colombus just gave up before he crossed the Atlantic no one would know his name.

Get it fixed and move on.

Last edited:
Do you feel like giving up playing the uke because a brace is loose? If I gave up every time I screwed something up I would never have finished anything, cause I screw up a lot.

Hell every song I try to learn gets screwed up a 100 ways till Sunday, but we must stay the course. If Christopher Colombus just gave up before he crossed the Atlantic no one would know his name.

The reason i said that is because......................................................................................................................
I bought a guitar from my local store thought I would give him the business and thought I would rather buy from him in case I had any problems with it. After a while i wanted a better one like you do. Went back to same store told them my budget and took home new guitar. After playing it for a while I noticed a buzz so I took it back to the store they scratched there heads for a while, lets try another on of the same model, that one also buzzed. Then I thought I would up my budget again to try and get a better one. A week later new model arrives took it home and that buzzed. Took it back to shop told assistant that it buzzes and he said all classical guitars make a buzzing noise. I said I have a classical guitar at home and that does not buzz he would not believe me. In the end I gave up with them and got my money back. Then I thought why dont I buy a ukulele for the money I was spending I could get a decent one. Anyway I did not do any research into ukuleles and ended up buying a laminate. Not knowing what it should sound like after a few months I realised it sounded thuddy. I did play it for a while until I could afford another one. Then I bought a bruko very happy with that but it was to plinky so decided to get another one.
For some reason I went back to the store I purchased from before to see if they had any new models in of which they did. Bought it at christmas and has been fine very happy with it. Recently it has had an intermittent buzz but now it is constant. So I am really fed up, a bit cheesed of you could say.

We could give you better answers if you provide more details. Like: Make and model of uke, what vendor you bought from, and photo showing exactly how strap pin in question is attached.

If strap pin is installed into butt of uke, and into endblock as is usually done as a standard, I do not think the maker nor the seller should object, and one that does would get an argument from me and none of my future business. It's just a tiny, maybe 1/8" wide hole to fit a strap pin.

As to giving up - please provide more detail as to what exactly you mean - we are all here to help. :)

The reason i said that is because......................................................................................................................
I bought a guitar from my local store thought I would give him the business and thought I would rather buy from him in case I had any problems with it. After a while i wanted a better one like you do. Went back to same store told them my budget and took home new guitar. After playing it for a while I noticed a buzz so I took it back to the store they scratched there heads for a while, lets try another on of the same model, that one also buzzed. Then I thought I would up my budget again to try and get a better one. A week later new model arrives took it home and that buzzed. Took it back to shop told assistant that it buzzes and he said all classical guitars make a buzzing noise. I said I have a classical guitar at home and that does not buzz he would not believe me. In the end I gave up with them and got my money back. Then I thought why dont I buy a ukulele for the money I was spending I could get a decent one. Anyway I did not do any research into ukuleles and ended up buying a laminate. Not knowing what it should sound like after a few months I realised it sounded thuddy. I did play it for a while until I could afford another one. Then I bought a bruko very happy with that but it was to plinky so decided to get another one.
For some reason I went back to the store I purchased from before to see if they had any new models in of which they did. Bought it at christmas and has been fine very happy with it. Recently it has had an intermittent buzz but now it is constant. So I am really fed up, a bit cheesed of you could say.

Understandable in being frustrated. The buzzing should not be a result of the strap installation, but you never know. As Booli mentioned if you can share the make and model someone here might have an idea on how to help. It does sound like your shop might take it back or at least look at it. Good luck

We could give you better answers if you provide more details. Like: Make and model of uke, what vendor you bought from, and photo showing exactly how strap pin in question is attached.

If strap pin is installed into butt of uke, and into endblock as is usually done as a standard, I do not think the maker nor the seller should object, and one that does would get an argument from me and none of my future business. It's just a tiny, maybe 1/8" wide hole to fit a strap pin.

As to giving up - please provide more detail as to what exactly you mean - we are all here to help. :)

Hi Booli
Yes just a little hole for screw in butt. It was purchased from my local music store not just ukes. As to giving up I am just frustrated I guess but these things happen.It is a Uluru 11 nice uke.

And you're sure a brace is loose? A multitude of things can cause buzzing.

Hang in there Phil, these things are sent to test us my friend, there will always be a way through the problem.

Just check that it's not something in your practice area that's buzzing, something that's going out in sympathy with your instruments, it maybe a long shot but worth a look.

Hi Booli
Yes just a little hole for screw in butt. It was purchased from my local music store not just ukes. As to giving up I am just frustrated I guess but these things happen.It is a Uluru 11 nice uke.

Ok thanks for the reply. We must have been typing at the same time :)

Are you sure it's not string buzz, but a brace buzz?

If it's a string buzz, that's a much easier fix (checking fret level, neck bow, bridge and saddle height as well as their compensation, EVEN different strings can help sometimes), but to diagnose a brace buzzing, you need to get small mirror and flashlight inside and try to get a good look at it.

Either way, decent shop with a guitar tech and/or local luthier should be able to diagnose exactly the cause.

Let us know.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a laminate uke, and some laminates sound BETTER than those with solid wood tops.

Hang in there Phil, these things are sent to test us my friend, there will always be a way through the problem.

Just check that it's not something in your practice area that's buzzing, something that's going out in sympathy with your instruments, it maybe a long shot but worth a look.

Cheers Cambell. The really annoying thing is that I just tried it again and it is fine really singing again. I will try your suggestion when it happens again. I was really looking forward to having another go at that tab you gave me (French Dance) and when I sat down to play it the buzz turned up:(

Christopher who? Oh yeah, the guy who discovered Canada. :agree:

Are you still on the same set of strings? Perhaps just changing the strings might alleviate the buzz. Also, loose ends of strings (after the knot) or if there is a pickup installed, wiring inside the cavity may contact the top and create a buzz.

Seems to me that your shop does not know how to do a proper setup. A good setup helps considerably.

Yep, there's a whole heap of things that can make a uke buzz. I have one I call Buzzy. Loose pre-amp or wires, loose amp plug, loose bridge, faulty setup (or no setup), worn strings, wrong strings, too low action, worn nut, GRRRR, loose brace or body crack too....I'm playing two ukes with chronic buzzing right now, nothing drives me more NUTS but I will not quit.

I've gone through a LOT of ukes, some with buzzes, etc etc.
It can be frustrating at times, but the rewards greatly outweigh the negatives.

I think it is very rare to have a loose brace causing buzz.
Most buzzes are alleviated with experimenting with different sets of strings and adjusting the action.

I greatly doubt that a strap pin will cause any issues in terms of getting the instrument serviced.
In fact, I don't think that the store nor the warranty people will even notice it!

I think it's time you take action to end your frustration.

Take it to your luthier. If it's a loose brace, contact the manufacturer and see if they'll pay for (some or all of) the repair. Then, regardless of the answer, get it fixed.

If it's not a loose brace, the luthier will probably be able to tell you what is causing the buzz.

I say take positive action and get it done. You're probably in need of a relatively inexpensive repair. The peace of mind is surely worth the money.

I think it's time you take action to end your frustration.

Take it to your luthier. If it's a loose brace, contact the manufacturer and see if they'll pay for (some or all of) the repair. Then, regardless of the answer, get it fixed.

If it's not a loose brace, the luthier will probably be able to tell you what is causing the buzz.

I say take positive action and get it done. You're probably in need of a relatively inexpensive repair. The peace of mind is surely worth the money.
Best advise. I don't think anyone on a ukulele forum is going to fix the buzz.

Top Bottom