strings n tings

Markyboy

Reaction score
Ok so I have a set of tenor Aquila strings with an unwound low G (red) on my VOX electoukulele. Thing is the G is dominated by the C string. I know this can be a common problem for many uke types.
Anyone recommend an alternative string set up please?

Also does anyone have experience of using a Risa LP soprano. Have tried a couple different bespoke string sets but still have tension issues which means some chord positions just don't work. Again this is mostly on the Low G. The Risa has been professionally set up.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks M

You could try a Fremont Soloist low G - very well reviewed, I've got one but am yet to get around to fitting it to a uke. I also use Living Water low Gs, if you're looking for an unwound one. Low G's on sopranos are a bit less common but again, the soloist is supposed to do well there.

I've tried the red low G a couple of times. Both snapped within a few weeks (and no, not at the nut or bridge for those who'll suggest it was due to sharp edges!).

You could try a Fremont Soloist low G - very well reviewed, I've got one but am yet to get around to fitting it to a uke. I also use Living Water low Gs, if you're looking for an unwound one. Low G's on sopranos are a bit less common but again, the soloist is supposed to do well there.

I've tried the red low G a couple of times. Both snapped within a few weeks (and no, not at the nut or bridge for those who'll suggest it was due to sharp edges!).

I had the red unwound low G and Fremount wound. I prefer the Fremount wound because of the guitar sound but the red is pretty sounding too if the string doesn't break. I will only use Fremount now.

I've had an Aquila Red low A on my 6 string for a long, long time, and it's okay. I also have an Aquila Red low G on my tenor banjolele, and it hasn't broke, but it's pretty "boomy". It doesn't seem to bother me when I'm picking though which I usually do on that Uke.

Sometimes I think a "booming" string is just my old ears playing tricks on me. It's usually on a C string. :eek:ld:

Just wondering, is the VOX electoukulele a solid-bodied instrument? If so the problem may be in the band-pass filtering of the electrics. That is to say, maybe there's just too much bass cut, as though the circuitry has been optimised for a high-G.

I've got low-G Aquila reds, bought as complete sets, both on my Kala concert and "part-time" on a soprano, these latter originally on a "conventional-bodied" instrument, where the low-G was a little muted, but once they were moved onto a pineapple-bodied instrument the balance was much better. The implication of this, to my mind, is that the Aquila low-G reds are as good as they're supposed to be, but only on an instrument that can deliver the lower notes ... as always YMMV ;)

I really liked the Aquila Low G reds on my laminate tenor. I never had troubles with the G string but a couple of "a" strings broke. May try them again on a different ukulele
Cliff

I've got an Aquila re-entrant DGBE set with a red G for my tenor Fluke waiting to go on. I'm currently using the supplied D'Addario Nyltechs tuned down. They work but are a bit floppy so perhaps I should just get on with it and change them and see how they go.

Well, my Aquila Red low A string broke this morning right at the nut. RIP, Low Red. It's been on there almost a year though, so that's not too bad. The Uke was just hanging there on the wall when Low Red broke. I'm gonna put the original wrapped low A string back on (a coupla months old) and see how it is.

I put the Red on because I didn't like the wrapped original, but I've got more experience with them now. :eek:ld:

My friend Donna just complained of the same thing on her SouthCoast strung Pono. Personally I couldn't tell but that's cause I got skills. :p

Top Bottom