Any ideas on how to start a uke club?

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out the best way to start a ukulele club or group here in my local area....Rochester, NY.

There aren't many uke players in this area that I've been able to get in touch with. Surely they are out there....I just don't know how to contact them.

--How are uke clubs organized?

--How often do they usually meet?

--How can I attract members?

I'm hoping that some of you have experience with this and can offer suggestions.

Check out the Twin Cities Ukulele Orchestra thread authored by Lanark.

Our little orchestra had its first meeting on March 3rd. He posted here and on Craig's List. Lanark also started a website on Nexo. I was only able to attend the first meeting and it was somewhat loose -- it was our first meeting after all. 13 people showed up. It was a lot of fun. After we played our very first song I thought "it really doesn't sound all that bad!" I'm not sure what happened this past Tuesday. Nor do I know if a firm schedule for meetings has been made. I'm pretty sure though that Lanark -- and I agree totally -- would like to be at a minumum every other week. Lot of help I am, huh?

Other ukulele clubs seem quite organized, but I'm guessing they've been at it for a while. Have you seen any Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain videos? Well, they didn't get to be that way without structure. I think if you are starting out it pays to be a little flexible at first. You need to find out what everyone is looking for in a uke club and I suppose let the majority rule.

I also go to an ukulele club that meets once per month. We meet in a restaurant at a large public park. This is mainly a 3 hour meeting where people brings songs and we sit around playing (strumming mostly) some and yapping some. It's very informal. That also has a Nexo site.

Nexo sites are good for posting up all sorts of things -- calendar, music, forums, uke p*** (Lanark calls it "eye candy"), links -- you name it.

Why not make up some flyers and go to some music shops in your area? Try Craig's list. TCUO got quite a few members from there. You NEVER know who is paying attention or is maybe just starting out.

I'd say go for it. It's really fun. It's kind of lonely playing the ukulele, but a uke club makes you feel part of a fun community -- much like UU :shaka:

I'm sure other UUers will have more help for you.

Thanks for the ideas! I'll try to follow up on the links you've suggested tomorrow, when I have more time.

I did notice several players that live locally posted on FMM....but I didn't see a way to contact them directly. There may be a way, but I just didn't find it.

I would so love to find a group of players who were willing and able to meet once or twice a month! I think I learn best when I have someone in person to bounce questions off of, and to see what I'm doing (right or wrong) and such.

Keep the good ideas and suggestions coming!

Many thanks, ricdoug....I had no idea how to get contact info for the folks listed on FMM. I think I might send an e-mail out to guage the interest in forming a local ukulele club.

hoosierhiver, I'd feel a little silly advertizing free uke lessons....I need uke lessons!

deach, I've been to Bernunzio's Music (when I was uke shopping). I don't know why it didn't occur to me that he might have ideas.

I know adelethegreat here on UU is interested....who knows? This might turn into a uke club yet....

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out the best way to start a ukulele club or group here in my local area....Rochester, NY.

There aren't many uke players in this area that I've been able to get in touch with. Surely they are out there....I just don't know how to contact them.

--How are uke clubs organized?

--How often do they usually meet?

--How can I attract members?

I'm hoping that some of you have experience with this and can offer suggestions.

I asked the same thing awhile back. Search UU and FMM to follow some suggestions folks gave me.

Here are a couple of great ideas folks gave me that seemed to help atendance in our club

1.Build a web presence, get a free goggle site or blog and build a sense of local uke community. Post your schedule there. Check our site www.lowcountrystrummers.com

2.Hold free lessons for beginners at the beginning of the meet, this was a real big draw, the side benefit is I learned a lot teaching them. Check our site there are three uke class handouts there you can steal.

3.Try to get a public location to meet to start with, Libraries usually have community rooms and try to stick to the same schedule (3rd Wednesday).

4.Advertise in online community bulletin boards or free papers. We’ve gotten a lot of members this way.

5.Post your club on FMM and e-mail the members on FMM.

If you find out other ideas let me know!!

Ukuleleblues....

I was blown away by the effort you've put into your club! The website construction, the research on uke history, the music theory lessons...it goes on and on. I am very, very impressed!

I'm not sure, now, that I'm the right guy to be trying to start a local club. I've only just begun to play the uke this January, and don't feel I could teach other beginners very much. I don't read music or know much about music theory.

I guess what I should do is move down to SC from upstate NY and join your club! I hope the beginners down there appreciate the opportunity they've been offered by the Lowcountry Strummers....I'd feel like I'd died and gone to heaven if there was a club like yours here!

Well done!

Top Bottom