Soprano/concert strings on a tenor

Joko

Reaction score
Is it okay to use strings labeled as for a soprano/concert on a tenor uke? My instincts say no.

I happen to live in Yangon, Myanmar. I've only seen strings sold in a couple places here, and only for sopranos.

And I broke a string on my tenor.

Thanks.

Alternately, as only one string broke, the 1 string, the A, might I just replace that one on the tenor with a soprano string?

A soprano string probably won't be long enough for your tenor ukulele. You'll probably be able to use a guitar string of appropriate gauge. Don't worry about whether it's a B string or an E string, just get one of the same diameter of your broken string. Alternatively, a length of suitable size fishing line might do in a pinch ;)

I'll send you a couple of sets of tenor strings brother. Pm incoming...

Apart from the length issue I have certain doubts whether soprano strings are suitable for the higher string tension on the tenor.

Perhaps classical guitar strings are easier to find in your area:

•Use the classical guitar D string for the uke G when using a low G tuning.
•Use the classical G string for the uke C.
•Use the classical B string for the uke E.
•Use the classical E string for the uke A.

I always use concert sets (Aquilas) on my tenors. Works fine

Likewise in my experience, Concert sets work on Tenors.

In fact, there are times that I prefer Concert strings on Tenor. Sometimes Tenor string sets feel like they have too much tension.

The Classical guitar sets are also a great option.
DGBE strings of a classical guitar set tunes up to GCEA (low G)

UU is educating in all sorts of ways. Until now, I didn't know that Burma wasn't called Burma anymore! :)

Apart from the length issue I have certain doubts whether soprano strings are suitable for the higher string tension on the tenor.

If they fit the length, they should be fine.

Oftentimes, they're the same gauge string but just cut shorter. Or, (in the case of our H-10 set and H-T10 set), the soprano/concert gauges are smaller, so if the length is good for a tenor it's actually LESS tension. And if they're slightly heavier, it's normally a 5% increase, if that.

If they fit the length, they should be fine.

Oftentimes, they're the same gauge string but just cut shorter. Or, (in the case of our H-10 set and H-T10 set), the soprano/concert gauges are smaller, so if the length is good for a tenor it's actually LESS tension. And if they're slightly heavier, it's normally a 5% increase, if that.

^ Yes, this. You'd be amazed what will/might work just by shuffling through your leftover string box and trying things out, irrespective of whatever the labels on the packets say. Doesn't cost anything to experiment.

You'd be amazed what will/might work just by shuffling through your leftover string box and trying things out, irrespective of whatever the labels on the packets say.

That's why every time I speak at ukulele festivals, I hold up a string and say "While many of you may say 'This is an A string,' I look at this and say 'This is a .022 clear nylon tie end string, which can go on a classical guitar, ukulele or any instrument that ties strings at the bridge.'"

I don't like mixing string sizes and uke sizes. I put a tenor set on my concert once, and I hated them, they were noticeably thicker, I don't care what anyone says. They tore my fingers up, I couldn't wait to get them off. I've learned my lesson.

Top Bottom