NUD: Steve Grimes quilted maple tenor

Doc_J

Reaction score
A quilted maple tenor with a sunburst finish arrived today, from Steve Grimes. Steve said it was the "cat's meow" and I have to agree. Steve Grimes ukes were highly recommended to me, by a couple friends who have one. While the looks are gorgeous, the sound is excellent. It has a Big warm sound (yes, even with maple) and it has amazing clarity and crispness on the trebles. The tone is very even.

Binding, heel plate & end graft are maple. Great fine rope purfling around the top and rosette. Fretboard & bridge are ebony, bone nut & saddle are bone. Oval soundhole with ivoroid rosette. Side MOP markers in the usual places. Diamond snowflake MOP top marker on the 5 & 12 frets.

This uke sounds good with the Hilo strings (wound C & G) that it came with.

Here's some pics. I'll post a sound sample later.

*** It's later and I have added a day 1 sound sample.
Note: This uke hasn't really opened up yet.
Day 1 Sound Sample B-tuning with Hilo Strings:
https://app.box.com/s/jes1flu81fnuf6mkxe6vx7t0bgnqqf4k

P1070324_zpsiknpww2z.jpg

P1070331_zpsypeoiuu5.jpg
P1070327_zpskn1o0lfm.jpg

P1070335_zps8x6vx52o.jpg

Last edited:
And I thought Collings did sunbursts best. Wow! It looks like it is on fire.

WOW. WOW. WOW.

(Followed by a period of heavy breathing, silence and the sound of someone falling to the floor).

As you can see from my current stable of ukes, I'm a sucker for maple. It's beautiful to see and in the right luthier's hands, has wonderful tone. Had this been finished and sitting there when I visited Steve Grimes in March, I would have taken it and run like a madman! ;-)

Congratulations!!!

Some really unusual aspects to this uke, Hodge: the lateral oblong soundhole, the inlay on the bridge, the rope binding, and just two markers on neck face. I agree with everyone, that is a beautiful sunburst effect and really brings out interesting grain contrast. If you say the Hilos sound good, I take your word! ; ) Look forward to that sound sample. Congratulations on another score, mister!

Zowie, first sunburst ukulele I've ever Liked....dang we need a Like button here.....it's lovely. Congrats!

Very pretty it is. I love seeing all the new ukes here. I'll likely never run into many of them in person.

Wow Doc, you keep bringing the goods mate. Congratulations, it's truly beautiful.

I have to say that I have been selling off a lot of my ukes over the past year and a half. Partly because I have one son in college (with another joining him next year, yikes!) but mostly because UAS has officially left me. But Hodge, this changes everything!:( What a gorgeous ukulele. Just....... perfect. There have been a few threads about Steve's ukuleles over the past couple of years, and now I can see what the hubbub is all about. Congratulations. You must be giddy with your new custom.

Visualy this ukulele is a nice as I have seen. That last picture with the sun light and the shadows making the quilted maple glow with a 3D like shimmer. I don't know if I want to eat like marble cake or take it to bed with me. Either way I am in love. Congratulations, as Jon says you certainly keep the hits coming. WOW

Classy looking Uke!

Is that all maple, including the top?

Beautiful sunburst, very smooth gradation in the color shift.

Wow, you definitely know how to pick 'em (pun intended)! This might be the nicest sunburst I have ever seen on a uke. Congratulations!

This may be only the 2nd uke I thought sounded good with Hilo strings.

That's 2 more than me Hodge!

Mind you, this sweetheart looks like it'd sound good with a couple of pairs of shoelaces.

Man I love that rosette and body purfling and binding. Almost the prettiest appointments I've ever seen. Great choices mate.

Top Bottom