koa concert quest

chuck in ny

Reaction score
based on sound samples i am looking at the gretsch koa concert, and also liking a thick neck. i have never had a koa instrument and would like wiser heads to comment, is the gretsch okay, or is it better to get a kanilea and have done with the category.

How about a Kelii? I love mine. Great sound, not expensive, thick neck.

There's no comparison between a Gretsch and a Kanilea. If you can afford the Kanilea, go for it, from what I see and hear, you'd never regret it. Can I get an amen?

There's no comparison between a Gretsch and a Kanilea. If you can afford the Kanilea, go for it, from what I see and hear, you'd never regret it. Can I get an amen?

okay thanks.

The K brands sound better. The K brands cost a heck of a lot more than the Gretsch. I wanted the Gretsch Koa in tenor real bad back about 6 months ago but after waiting and waiting for them to become available I moved on. But I think Gretsch is a good uke maker. For sure in that price range.

Kanile'a has a wider nut, but not necessarily a thicker neck. Thick neck to me means the depth from fretboard to where your hand would be sliding.

The Gretsch is about $400, theukulelesite.com has a Kanile'a concert for under $800. Another option, you might consider, although they have what would probably be considered, a thin neck, is the Martin C1K for less than $500, or maybe you can find a used one for less, there have been several on the marketplace sell for $300-$400 range, recently.

Last edited:
Under $500? a Martin CiK.
Over $500? KoAloha.

In my experience with Gretsch, they are extremely good value for their price range.

Can't really compare it to a Kanilea.

That's like comparing Toyota's best car with a Ferrari.
Both are great, but in different leagues.

In my experience with Gretsch, they are extremely good value for their price range.

Kissing makes a great point.

For my personal preference, my choices would be: Black Bear; Pohaku; Ono; Collings; Barron River; John Cope; Kamaka.

I love my KoAloha concert, but the neck isn't thick. If you want to go for something cheaper, the Martin C1K is an excellent choice for under $500.

Owning a Gretsch and more expensive ukes I concur.

I love my KoAloha concert, but the neck isn't thick. If you want to go for something cheaper, the Martin C1K is an excellent choice for under $500.

That's correct. KoAloha has the thinnest neck I have ever played. Pono has a thicker neck and would be a good place to look for a quality Uke. It's thicker than a Martin. C1K imho.

That's correct. KoAloha has the thinnest neck I have ever played. Pono has a thicker neck and would be a good place to look for a quality Uke. It's thicker than a Martin. C1K imho.

Yes, but the request is for a koa model. That's why my suggestion was a Kelii. It has a chunky neck, can be made of koa, and a very nice sounding uke, esp. for the money. I've had my koa Kelii concert for two years, and it sounds great. No complaints. Ukulele PuaPua sells them. Kanilea makes fantastic ukes, but it seems the neck is wide, not thick. KoAloha's neck is reportedly thin, and I don't know how a Kamaka compares. My Kamaka pineapple seems pretty "normal." Pono's thick, but no koa. How is the neck on a C1K?

Last edited:
Top Bottom