U Bass phone number ?

Robin Harrison

Reaction score
Selling a U bass I bought to help out a friend but the back plate is missing..........on the Kala web site I can't find a phone number or in fact any contact info.
Does anyone out there have a number for them?
Many thanks in advance

I just went to their site, and clicked on the SUPPORT link:

http://kalabrand.com/support.html

and on that page it has the following info:

KALA BRAND MUSIC CO.
P.O. BOX 751149
PETALUMA, CA 94975 U.S.A.

1 877-853-3853
1 707-775-4073
Need warranty claim information? Click here

Emails:

New Dealer Inquiry (USA): order@kalabrandmusic.com
Other/General: contact@kalabrandmusic.com
International Distributor Inquiry:
order@kalabrandmusic.com

Please confirm if you are able to get this resolved as many of us here on UU are also fans of Kala and want to make sure that they are keeping up with support.

If not, we will KICK THEIR BUTT!!! Ha Ha, but seriously, please let us know how you make out in the end. :)

Thank you ...............seems like the only tab I didn't click on was the Support tab !
I will certainly let you know.

No help from them.........they currently don't have any, are in the middle of a re-design ( I can see why) and may have something by November.

The service department's suggestion was to phone around music stores to see if any store had an extra one that had been shipped.

I guess he has more time than I do !

Thanks again...........

No help from them.........they currently don't have any, are in the middle of a re-design ( I can see why) and may have something by November.

The service department's suggestion was to phone around music stores to see if any store had an extra one that had been shipped.

I guess he has more time than I do !

Thanks again...........

Well, that's sad. However it should be pretty easy to fabricate one yourself.

I'd tape a letter sized peice of paper over the hole with some 'magic tape' and then use the SIDE of a pencil tip to buffer/trace the edges of the opening, and then remove the paper, cut it out close, and then transfer it to (by taping it to the surface of) a piece of masonite (scraps can be had at most hardware stores for a few dollars), and using a t-square, score the straight edges, and then use either a coping saw and/or file to put a nice radius on the corners, constantly checking to make sure it fits the opening in the back of the U-bass, and when all done, you can get small Neodymium magnets like 10/$1 at places like suntekstore.com or parts-express.com, and with a dab of either hot-glue or super-glue, fix the magnets to the 'door', and then voila, snap it back onto the instrument in question.

In a pinch you could also use material from a butter tub lid or tupper-ware as the 'door' material.

If it were me, in your place with this info from Kala, I would probably fabricate a replacement. Once you have all the materials, if you go really SLOW, it should not take more than an hour or two...unless you have no comfort level with tools and/or working with your hands...

Frustrated at their lack of support, I was looking at the Kala STORE pages, and where they have U-Bass parts for sale, the actually SELL the back-plate for the solid-body U-Bass for $12, see here:

http://kala-gear.hostedbyamazon.com/dp/B00FT5G04Q

21JybCdHjYL._SS270_.jpg

You did not indicate if the U-bass was an acoustic or solid-body, but if it's the solid-body, then $12+shipping and bob's yer uncle, and if the acoustic is what you have, maybe you can buy this part and re-shape it for the acoustic, PROVIDED that it is wide/long enough to cover the hole on the back.

or perhaps make one from some thick black pickguard material.

Good suggestion........that was what I was coming round to doing ...
I was struggling with the issue of the thickness of the rare earth magnets; they are substantially thicker than the thickness of the uke back.
So............I happened to have a load of 0.6mm mahogany veneer. I peeled a magnetic address card off the fridge and glued 2 pieces of veneer at 90 degrees to each other and then to the magnetic strip and bingo...........also happened to have some stain that was reasonably close.
Might not be perfect but close enough.
Thanks again.

P1050312.jpgP1050313.jpg

That looks AWESOME. I bet it works just as good as the original.

You should be proud. I had not thought of the business card magnets. I'll have to keep that in mind for future projects.

Glad you could solve the problem. :)

I needed to cut a hole in my solidbody to accommodate the new preamp, and I was looking for a piece of wood at Home Depot last night that I could cut into a control plate. I wasn't looking too forward to that with my very bad woodworking skills. Then, I went in the flooring aisle, and found little sample squares in all sorts of fake wood finishes. I took a few different ones to see what color would look best, and for free with a pair of scissors cut out a decent control plate. I like free...

Top Bottom