I guess I'll try a Concert after all!

Mivo

Reaction score
For a while now, I've been bouncing back and forth between tenor and soprano, and somehow neither feels ideal to me.

The soprano is cute and the original, and for strumming in the first few frets it's great, but a little plinky and cramp-y. The tenor's sound is much fuller and bass-ier, but it's bigger than I'd ideally like, and even though I have average-sized hands, there are stretches I can't imagine I'll manage even with a lot of practice (it also causes me to keep wondering about classical guitars, which is not good!).

So, I guess it was just a matter of time until I'd consider a concert again. I had an off-the-shelf Stagg (my first ukulele, actually) that was poorly set up, so I never did much with it because it was just painful to play on.

I don't want to, and can't right now, spend a lot of money on one, but I'm looking at the Mabuhay concert, the massive mango model with the radius rosewood fretboard (I've been curious about radius fretboards). I'd probably put Martin fluorocarbon strings on it, since I like those on the tenor. Nylguts feel harsh to me.

Mabuhay is a Philippine (guitar?) manufacturer and their ukes are carried by a number of European outlets, though I know little else about their instruments or the company. I'd get one that's set up, though, so no risk in that regard. The cost would be around $300.

How would you describe the sound of massive mango? I'm really only familiar (own ears) with acacia and mahogany.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but you know how it is, once the thought is there, you'll eventually do it. :)

But ... it may actually be beneficial in the long run. Ideally, I really only want one ukulele, but The One can't happen before I have a clear idea (rooted in first hand experience) what I want. The tenor was in the $350 range, so it's not a top end instrument either. I also haven't bought a new ukulele in over two years!

Actually, I have a secondary plan here. The Deering banjolele is concert sized, but that'd be a much bigger expense, especially if I have to import it in case my local guy decides not to carry them, so I really need to be sure I get along with the scale.

And ...yes, I'm rationalizing! :) (Gosh, doesn't it suck when you know yourself so well that you can't even trick yourself easily anymore?! That used to be easier.)

Hey Mivo, from everything you've said it really does sound like concert is the perfect size for you.

I share your discomfort about tenors. I don't like the size of the body, nor the fret spacings, nor the string tension. The whole size has never felt right to me. But I love playing baritones so go figure. Sopranos I've always adored but probably these days play concerts equally as much. Slightly more room, slightly fuller tone but still that nice percussive sorta sparkiness you get with a soprano.

Mango divides folks. In the right hands it's a gorgeous tonewood. Here's a brief sample here of an all mango concert built by David Ingalls. Some complain mngo is a bit lifeless and dull sounding, that they lack dynamic and are on the quiet side. The uke in the link was nothing of the sort. All depends who built it.

If you have around $300 to spend on a concert uke there are some wonderful options around. Do some internet browsing and seek some more advice from the fine folks on the board here.

Here was my rationalization, I wanted a ukulele that was tuned re-entrant. I didn't want one that was too big, and I didn't want one that was too small, so I got the middle one. So far, no regrets. Hope that helps, but if it doesn't, that is OK too. Happy rationalizing.:D

Concert is the right size for me.

Hippie Dribble, thanks for sharing the video -- that was beautiful! And no, it really didn't sound lifeless, and the wood looks gorgeous to me. I've been keeping an eye on the market place here, but nothing stood out lately that is feasible (biggest issue is that I'm in Germany, and most sellers here are overseas, so shipping drives up any price). I may give this Philippine mango a try. Worst case is that I dislike it and have to return it within fourteen days. The local vendor (same country, not close by) that sells one does do setups.

The rationalizing, right, it's okay anyway and I'll not overthink this ;) -- I'm not about to break the bank, either. Concert was actually the size I meant to originally go for, but the Stagg I got wasn't set up well (at all), so when I learned that lesson and bought setup ukuleles, I went for the soprano and tenor since I didn't want two of the same size.

Phil, there's a good chance that it will be for me also. Just hard to tell without playing one for a while and see how it feels. I guess that's always the problem if you're not near a well-stocked music store. If I get this one, it'd also satisfy my curiosity about radius fretboards and if they really make a difference.

I think concert size is great! Completes your set, too. I have nothing to say about Mabuhay--just buy from a trustworthy seller that will take returns if it turns out to be a disappointment.

But ... it may actually be beneficial in the long run. Ideally, I really only want one ukulele, but The One can't happen before I have a clear idea (rooted in first hand experience) what I want. The tenor was in the $350 range, so it's not a top end instrument either. I also haven't bought a new ukulele in over two years!

Actually, I have a secondary plan here. The Deering banjolele is concert sized, but that'd be a much bigger expense, especially if I have to import it in case my local guy decides not to carry them, so I really need to be sure I get along with the scale.

And ...yes, I'm rationalizing! :) (Gosh, doesn't it suck when you know yourself so well that you can't even trick yourself easily anymore?! That used to be easier.)

I just got done playing my concert firefly. It was fun. So I guess if it's a banjo type then concert would be acceptable.

You should consider Mainland Ukes.

Don't go over to the dark side bro, stick with the tenor.

that's really funny. i've been playing concert exclusively for a while and am going to get a tenor again.
you can play anything you want with the attitude that you can do it.

I've played them all (sizes that is) ... and concert is my hands-down favorite. And yes, please consider Mainland. Best value out there in my opinion. Mele kicks serious a$$ too for the money.

Welcome to Concert World!!! If you have the funds, get a Kanile'a, they have a little larger body than standard. From what I've heard on the internet...mango is close to koa, google tonewoods, should be helpful.

tenors suck...;-D
:shaka:

Last edited:
I'd consider a Mainland (lots of positive feedback on those!), but I'm limited to what I can buy here in Germany (and that I can get set-up). A more expensive ukulele I would import (K brands, for example), but it's not worth it with a $300 instrument if you add shipping and import tax. It'll be an option for the "keeper" concert that will eventually find its way to me if I like the size. :)

Did a bit more research on Mabuhay. The ukes are hand-built in the Philippines, build quality was described by someone as that of "a Pono crossed with an aNueNue" (which is promising!), and they use Gotoh UT-18 tuners on the concert model. (I believe those are considered good? I know only little about tuners.) The vendor allows returns, so I think I'll give this a try and see how it plays and sounds, then report back.

After hearing Hippie Dribble's solid mango, I have some second thoughts about putting Martin fluorocarbon strings on it. Not sure they will be ideal for the wood. Maybe the Nylguts it comes with work better with mango. Mr. Dribble, what strings do you use on your mango?

I have "the one" for me. But it's not one I ever wanted. It is a concert however, as was my first uke. There are things I'd prefer it had that it doesn't: more string tention, volume, and slightly longer scale. But I love the body size, it's so comfortable to hold and carry around in its case. Sometimes practicality wins. I agree though, experience is never wasted, and I played sopranos, concerts and tenors all, before I got this one (on a very generous sale from a UU member!) BTW if you like the mango concert and can get it set up, go for it! But don't forget to check around for pre-owned. People are generally nice and will do what they can to give you info, tips, and tell you about the instrument. Sometimes they even throw in things you'd have to pay a lot extra for if you bought new. That's been my UU experience.

Good luck! Rationalizing if fun and frivolous alwas! :D

I think I experienced a rare moment of clarity. ;) (Should have captured it in a jar!)

After thinking a bit more about this, I realized that instead of buying another mid-range uke, I could instead make an attempt to learn how to fix the concert I have. It's a Stagg, which was my first ukulele, bought online before I knew anything about setups and their importance. It's a solid mahogany that is poorly set up and not comfortable to play in the first two frets. After closer inspection, I think the problem is really only the saddle. Bridge seems fine.

I am definitely not a very crafty person, and I don't own any tools outside of a few screwdrivers, pliers, and a couple hammers, so this could be an adventure. (Need to figure out what I need.) But yes, in this moment of clarity I decided to not spend $300 and instead see about improving the Stagg, which may give me a functional and playable concert (or I completely mess it up further, but in its current state I don't play on it anyway, so nothing to lose). That way I'll save the cash and can put it toward a more expensive instrument down the road, whenever I sort out which size I "really" prefer (Is this a ukulele-specific issue? What excuse do guitar players use when they accumulate multiple guitars?).

(Spending money is more fun than being reasonable, somehow!)

I agree with HippieDribble. You should be playing a concert scale. You're thinking is completely appropriate for your experience so far.

I also agree with UkerDanno. If you want your Stagg set up, have it done professionally. (Remember though, you're already unhappy with this instrument and the difference may be insufficient to impress you. If you're unhappy with the results, a concert scale is still probably best for you.)

Here's my personal opinion. If you decide to go with a new concert, do not get one with a radiused fretboard. If you don't like the radius, (many don't) you will be turned off by yet another concert. You can surely find a very nice, conventional concert from Hawaii Music Supply, Mim, Mainland, your local Lanikai, Oscar Schmidt, Kala dealer... for under $300. Some day in the future you may want to experiment with a radiused fretboard, but I strongly recommend only one (relatively) major experiment at a time.

Eddy Finn makes a travel concert which has a great feel and an even greater sound. At $125usd, it is a bargain. I have several custom made ,expensive ukuleles of different sizes, but the EF/TC are my most often played, and almost always my 'grab and go' ukes. I always go GCEA and gCEA. There are UK dealers as well as mainland Europe.

Top Bottom