easy way to play G-sharp minor?

bt93

Reaction score
hey is there any easy way to play a G-sharp minor. i am really having a lot of trouble with it, and want to learn a song that contains this chord

Try G#m 1342

The key being that your index finger covers every string on the first fret (i.e., it's a barre chord). You'll notice that the rest of the chord looks just like a Gm, shape-wise, which makes sense when you think about it. You're basically just playing a Gm one fret higher.

One super-easy way you can play a G#m is X876. You're using the same shape as an Em chord, except four frets higher. Don't play the fourth string (G string) at all. The downside is that if the other chords you're playing are further down the neck, that version of G#m will tend to "stick out" too much, due to how high the notes are arranged.

The trouble with songs that contain G#m chords is that they usually contain other tricky chords too. Probably the most (in)famous song right now that features a G#m is "I'm Yours", assuming you play it in the original key of B:

B F# G#m E

JJ

If you're comfortable with the Bb chord shape, you could play it 4342...hold it just like a B chord, but add the pinky on the 2nd string

Try G#m 1342
You can also play 13X2 since the 2nd string is doubling the 4th...just flatten out your ring finger slightly so it touches and mutes the 2nd string.

Top Bottom