Recommendations for Baritone uke capo please ?

indigo_dave

Reaction score
Depends on the uke really. The Shubb works fine on my Bruko bari.

I have the regular Shubb Capo from your first link, and I just checked: It works both on my Pono Baritone and on my Kanilea Baritone, that latter having a somewhat wider fretboard. The rubber part that goes on the strings has a length of 41mm, so I think it will work on pretty much any uke (except for Guitaleles, of course).

This type is my absolute favourite.
No idea why every ukulele capo is not like this:
https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/en/Ukulele-capo

Why have awkward turning mechanisms when you can just clip it onto place? I absolutely detest capos that aren't simply clip-n-play.
They take too long when it should just be one easy motion.

This one is compact, so it doesn't get in the way of playing and the spring is nice and secure.

Last edited:

In my experience.. ugh, inconvenient to install in comparison to a clip-on.
And sometimes you have to kinda re-adjust the capo so that its sitting on the strings correctly. Not as easy to do with a fiddly capo like that.
The only advantage of those band-type capos is that they're cheap to manufacture. No advantage from a functional perspective.

Maybe it depends on how tolerant you are. I bought one of those, being tempted by the cheaper price tag. I regretted it and saved up for a clip-on capo and never looked back.

The clip capos don't get in the way for me - but maybe people have different playing styles.

Last edited:
I use a Planet Waves NS Ukulele Capo Pro on my Kala baritone. It's small but just fits and I like that it's unobtrusive. It's also lightweight and I like the all black color. For guitar I've long used a Shubb, but decided to try something different when I got a uke. I've never been attracted to the large-looking grip style capos.

Here's a spring clamp capo I believe. It says it is good for ukes also. If anyone knows why it would not work please weigh in. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/TruChord-Pro-...&qid=1434220733&sr=8-27&keywords=ukulele+capo
it will work, but the guitar capos are longer so they will stick out more. why not just get the Kyser or any of the other uke specific. I bought a mando one once and it was too short.,the Kyser is spring loaded and already the right length, . there are much better things to obsess about, like strings. shoot, you can make a capo out of a pencil and a rubber band.

The Planet Waves NS Ukulele Capo. Very low profile—minimal collision with the fingers—, easy to put on and take off, adjustable to just the right pressure. It's worked like a champ with every neck I've tried it on. You can easily spend $50 or more on a fancy capo, but I don't see how any of them can improve on this little gem.

The Dunlop-style elastic band is simple and works, but it's a wrestle to put on, it applies way too much pressure (can put your tuning out), and the profile is a bit high on the top, so it can get in the way as you're fretting. And it's ugly.

The clamp-style capos also get in your way. And are ugly.

Last edited:
I've got a Shubb for my banjo which fits my baritone if I ever wanted to use it. I also have Shubbs for my guitars, one for flat fretboards and one for radiussed fretboards ... not sure if that might be an issue on a ukulele, I only have ukuleles with flat fretboards.

I hardly use it anymore, but I used to before I could make barr chords.

Isn't this hinting at the true answer? I'm not a fan of capo's. They tend to mess with the tuning and I see the need of a capo as a nice challenge to work a little extra hard on technique. But I like to make things difficult for myself...:)
I would recommend a simple clip-on. I have one with a strap and lever thingy going on and it's not good at all. Maybe that's why I prefer learning difficult chords.. Hm..

I've used numerous capo's over the years. I like the Kyser the best for functionality and quick fitment. Capo's are made for instruments with flat fingerboards or radiused fingerboards. Make sure you get the right one.

Many capo's I've used over the years were very sensitive to neck thickness and only worked if the neck thickness was in the right range. The Kyser is very versatile in this regard.

Anthony

I think how much you invest in a capo also depends on your playing needs. If I'm doing an open mic set and want to do one or two songs capoed, I don't want to struggle putting it on and taking it off. I want a nice, easy, quick one. I could transpose the songs but sometimes that does put it in a key that for me is just not user friendly. I don't mind a bit of a challenge but really sometimes a capo just makes sense. Even very good guitarists use them. Also, I play frequently with others who are capoed and I just can't transpose in my head, efficiently enough.

As to the length of the capo, it's obviously an important issue. I don't know of a regular uke capo that will work for a baritone. My small uke capo would handle maybe the first or second fret but after that it won't catch the E string. I think you really need a guitar capo, as it's not uncommon to want to capo on the 3,4, or even occasionally 5th fret. The trick tho is to also get one that's not too long either, as it can get in the way. I still frequently play first position chords, so this is an issue for me (on say a B7). The neatest, most smooth, low profile capo with just the right length, is important in this situation. Sure you can struggle on through with just any capo, but as I said in the beginning, if YOUR playing situations call for a capo with some frequency, get a capo your gonna be happy with. Be sure to look at the G7th performance capo 2. It's a little pricey, but really it's a small indulgence if you capo frequently.

I use a Planet Waves NS Ukulele Capo Pro on my Kala baritone. It's small but just fits and I like that it's unobtrusive. It's also lightweight and I like the all black color. For guitar I've long used a Shubb, but decided to try something different when I got a uke. I've never been attracted to the large-looking grip style capos.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Plus those large capos get in my way. The Planet Waves is cool.

This is what I have for my baritone, for the same reasons as Rocky listed, and it only takes a few seconds more than a spring-loaded capo. I use the guitar version of this capo, as well. Shubbs are heavy by comparison, and spring-loaded capos have just one level of pressure, often pulling one or more strings out of tune.

Last edited:
Top Bottom