buyers remorse or Help

plunker

Reaction score
I bought Roosebeck tenor Baroque ukulele a while back. I was enamored by the design of the sound hole (It mimics a lute in appearance). The problem is I can not get it to sound better than my Kala K-at. I had Aquila all nylon strings put on it, still sounds very bland. I though with the bowl shaped body and the rosewood it would sound much richer. It is nice to look at but I want more. Any expereice with these. String recomendations. Or did I just fall for a pretty face?

can't tell without pic's!

Last edited:
The first thing I do with any Uke I get is change the strings. The Oasis Brights or Worth Clears will give many Ukes a nice crisp sound while the Worth Browns give a more mellow sound. Also Living Waters are a good choice and are recommended highly around here. The first thing you need to do is determine what you don't like about the sound and start there.

you could sell the Kala, then it will be the best. seriously, if it doesn't sound good, get rid of it and get one of those new Koaloha imports, I'll bet they will sound "better" than the Kala. or at least different. One of the best sounding ukes I've ever owned was a Cedar topped Kala. i'm sorry I sold it.

I agree with Andy on this. Just sell it mate. Been there myself a few times. So many fantastic ukes on the market these days. But the caveat: definitely good to build up a nice collection of different strings sets though because they really can make a big difference for better or worse.

Last edited:
A different set of strings is a small investment, and may result in an instrument you like much more.
If new strings don't help, you could keep it as a wall-hanger, or sell it to someone else who wants it as a wall-hanger.
I researched those as well, and was tempted because of the design. They are attractive.
Did you opt for the baroque-style ebony tuning pegs shown in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhoGboaj9Tk

Maybe it's just a different kind of sound to the Kala?

Inexpensive Kalas give out a generically bright and powerful tone, which sounds great for strumming.
But loud does not always = better. A loud ukulele may sound robust, but it may lack character.

From sound samples I have heard, the Baroqulele is a very different kind of instrument.
A more focused, pluckier sound, which is good for articulation and fingerpicking.
I don't use fingernails myself, but it's how the classical guitarists play to get that crisp tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwM3IgtZVEM

If you're not desperate to sell it, perhaps keep practicing?

I wouldn't mind buying one some day. I'll definitely get them with the peghead upgrade though. The default friction tuners seem like a pain.

Last edited:
Heck, it sounds all right to me and loud enough too. It's very nice looking and has a different look; I'd leave the pegs on though. They're right for it.

It will look really nice on the wall or resting in a corner, and you can still play it even if it's not your perfect sound. :eek:ld:

Do you just marry good looking girls only or have pearl paint jobs on your cars
Don't be a sucker for looks only and good deals, go for the whole package.
Takes time to learn, I guess. Move on and get a real whatever it may be.. happy strummings

Maybe it's just a different kind of sound to the Kala?

Inexpensive Kalas give out a generically bright and powerful tone, which sounds great for strumming.
But loud does not always = better. A loud ukulele may sound robust, but it may lack character.

From sound samples I have heard, the Baroqulele is a very different kind of instrument.
A more focused, pluckier sound, which is good for articulation and fingerpicking.
I don't use fingernails myself, but it's how the classical guitarists play to get that crisp tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwM3IgtZVEM

If you're not desperate to sell it, perhaps keep practicing?

I wouldn't mind buying one some day. I'll definitely get them with the peghead upgrade though. The default friction tuners seem like a pain.

Well, in the hands of Matt, it sounds pretty good to me. Of course, not every instrument is the same, and some will naturally sound better than others. I would try some more strings, and find out what Matt was using for his video. The idea of installing an amp would be good too, if volume is a problem.

There is a company that makes sound hole covers. If you decide that was the only part you loved, you could sell it and get a cover for your Kala.I don't have any experience with them, but it does give you ideas. To get a uke size you might have to get a custom order. http://lutehole.com

-Lori

The strings look like Aquila to me.

I'm not normally a fan of Aquila nylguts, but for a lute-like instrument like this, I daresay it's a good match.

I can imagine fluorocarbons, such as Fremont Blackline or Worths also working well with this kind of uke. But that's just my imagination :)

The first thing I do with any Uke I get is change the strings. The Oasis Brights or Worth Clears will give many Ukes a nice crisp sound while the Worth Browns give a more mellow sound. Also Living Waters are a good choice and are recommended highly around here. The first thing you need to do is determine what you don't like about the sound and start there.
Thanks, I think I'll order the worth browns and give it a try.

Top Bottom