Ditson Ukulele Website

Tigershark

Reaction score
LINK >>> Ditson Ukulele

For anybody interested in old Martin ukuleles, please have a look at the Ditson ukulele website. Lots of pictures & info from the Martin archives on the ukes made for Oliver Ditson Co. from 1915 until the late 1920's.

The site is focused mainly on the dreadnought shaped ukuleles made for Chas. Ditson in New York. But if you'd like to share photos of any Ditson ukulele that would be great.

promo21.jpg

Nicely done on the web site!

Tigershark, what a glorious website!

It's so very odd that I was looking up Ditson ukes earlier today, and posted on Terry's FSFarmhouse thread, not having even seen this UU thread. Kismet!

I own three Oliver Ditsons (two Style 1s and one Style 2) and love them. Must admit, for some reason, Ditson name has become so ingrained with dreadnought that one thinks every Ditson is a dread...do you find that? Going by Walsh King, Chas. Ditson dreadnought ukes totaled around 3700 (including taros), whereas Oliver Ditson non-dread ukes totaled only 592, and are significantly more rare. Is that your finding?

I have trouble with the entire Chas versus Oliver distinction (even after reading about it in Walsh King). Did they use the same hot stamp at Martin for both, the only difference being the dread shape for Charles and traditional Martin shape for Oliver? (I'm going by Walsh and King page 188, paragraph one regarding the stamp). What do you think?

Thanks for your website.

Last edited:
Great website cheers. Gives me something other than the Walsh/King book to drool over! I do like the dreadnought style. The style 2 for me is just the perfect Martin. I played a 1920's one (think it was advertised as a Ditson, regular body shape) at a music store in the UK last year and really regret not buying it. Even though it had numerous repaired cracks it was just perfect. I've since tried numerous modern Martin copies but none even come close to that glorious style 2. One day I'll find another :D

:) Thanks for the feedback.

The distinction between the Boston store (Oliver Ditson) and the New York store (Chas. H. Ditson) would be a good topic to expand in the future. My personal focus is on the "Ditson Model" or dreadnought shaped ukuleles which were specifically for the New York store. I love the chubby shape and the sound. The Boston ones are harder to find and maybe that's why I don't have one yet.

The same stamp of the parent company was used on the Boston and New York ukuleles. To confuse matters slightly, the New York store would also buy standard Martin models on occasion. It is not always clear whether these were stamped Martin or stamped Ditson.

Boston - Oliver Ditson Co.
-didn't start buying Martin ukes until 1918
-standard Martin shape
-bought a lot less than the New York store (so they are more rare)
-stamped with the same Oliver Ditson Co New York Boston stamp

New York - Chas. H. Ditson
-started buying ukes from Martin in late 1915
-standard Martin shape until around fall of 1916
-dreadnought shape begins and forms the bulk of orders
-would still sometimes order standard shaped ukuleles if requested by customer or if Martin could not fill orders quickly with Ditson Model
-bought a larger quantity of ukuleles than Boston

Click here to see an order slip from the Martin archives, Chas. Ditson sent this slip of paper to Martin to order some Style 2 and Style 3 ukuleles. The "D.M." abbreviation stands for Ditson Model so we know these were dreadnoughts.

I own three Oliver Ditsons (two Style 1s and one Style 2) and love them. Must admit, for some reason, Ditson name has become so ingrained with dreadnought that one thinks every Ditson is a dread...do you find that? Going by Walsh King, Chas. Ditson dreadnought ukes totaled around 3700 (including taros), whereas Oliver Ditson non-dread ukes totaled only 592, and are significantly more rare. Is that your finding?

Steve - are your Ditson's dreadnaught shaped or standard? I must admit, despite never having played one, I'm really intrigued and drawn to the dreadnaught ones.

:) Thanks for the feedback.

The distinction between the Boston store (Oliver Ditson) and the New York store (Chas. H. Ditson) would be a good topic to expand in the future. My personal focus is on the "Ditson Model" or dreadnought shaped ukuleles which were specifically for the New York store. I love the chubby shape and the sound. The Boston ones are harder to find and maybe that's why I don't have one yet.

The same stamp of the parent company was used on the Boston and New York ukuleles. To confuse matters slightly, the New York store would also buy standard Martin models on occasion. It is not always clear whether these were stamped Martin or stamped Ditson.

Boston - Oliver Ditson Co.
-didn't start buying Martin ukes until 1918
-standard Martin shape
-bought a lot less than the New York store (so they are more rare)
-stamped with the same Oliver Ditson Co New York Boston stamp

New York - Chas. H. Ditson
-started buying ukes from Martin in late 1915
-standard Martin shape until around fall of 1916
-dreadnought shape begins and forms the bulk of orders
-would still sometimes order standard shaped ukuleles if requested by customer or if Martin could not fill orders quickly with Ditson Model
-bought a larger quantity of ukuleles than Boston

Click here to see an order slip from the Martin archives, Chas. Ditson sent this slip of paper to Martin to order some Style 2 and Style 3 ukuleles. The "D.M." abbreviation stands for Ditson Model so we know these were dreadnoughts.

Fabulous reply, Tshark. Thank you. Particularly, I appreciate the information about the stamp, and about the timeline of both Oliver and Charles store.

I have a suggestion, and that is all it is: a suggestion. It is your website, and that is fabulous.

The suggestion is, rather than limiting the focus to dreadnaught Ditsons, open it to all Ditsons (a rather esoteric niche, even when all inclusive...lol). While I understand and appreciate your passion for dreadnaught "Ditson model" Martins, there is much overlap between all Ditsons that it can get confusing. Example: on your website now, under Intro, "What Makes a Ditson Ukulele special?" (note, the title does not say "Ditson-model special"; the Ditson model is mentioned in the prose, but may remain obscure to a new reader as the only photos shown on your website are dreadnaughts) and the section immediately goes on to mention dreadnaught, as if they all were such.

As a reference website, one would hope it to be encyclopedic about its topic. But as written, and with exclusively dread photos, it would lead one to believe that all Ditsons were Charles Ditson dreads, when, in fact, there exist Martin-shaped Ditsons. Brother Oliver is feeling slighted and turning in his grave!

I think all-inclusive might be more beneficial for users of your website (those doing research, those interested in buying/selling, those checking rarity, etc.). Adding to the confusion, you have photos of Oliver's Boston store, yet none of the Martin-style Ditsons sold by that store. Certainly, adding the history and timeline (and maybe even the tallies, referencing the book of Mr. Walsh, who is one of your site contributors) for Chas and Oliver, dreads and non-dreads, seems worthy. Comprehensive clarity would be a huge benefit to ukulele players who spot a Ditson and look it up online.

These are simply suggestions, and regardless of your choice, great reading and photos...love those vintage photos of the Ditson factories and uke builders. Lovely, Tiger, lovely! I do plan to check into your website to see what is brewing. A labor of love. Thank you for it.

PS If this is Americano, from FSFH, hi! I, honestly, resurrected that Ditson-model thread BEFORE I came here to UU and found yours...honestly, that is weird. I just saw you (or someone like you) posted there and the Edison bulb went off in my head. :)

Last edited:
Bill, that sounds like a great idea. We have a couple years until 2020, which will give us time to organize a 100th anniversary recital of the Bickford Method at 8-10-12 34th Street in New York. I wonder if the folks at the Capitol One Bank would mind? I would love to have a copy of the original printing of that book, it's something I've been looking for because it really ties the Martin & Ditson ukulele stories together.

https://goo.gl/maps/JL6N9

Kayaker, those are good points. I wrote up a section on New York vs. Boston but didn't add it to the site. I wanted to pair it with a side by side photo of a NY Ditson and a Boston Ditson but I don't have a Boston Ditson. Soon :)

The site was supposed to be a fun overview with some eye candy, but grew a little bigger with help from the Martin archives. Still, it's far from encyclopedic.

You're right, the Boston Ditsons did not get much attention. Compared to New York, there was a lack of primary source material and not as much story that I could find. Harry Hunt of Chas Ditson was constantly in contact with Martin, writing letters, requesting changes, and placing orders. There was more to draw from. Maybe with more time & research we will have the resources to Boston.

The first photo of Earle Hartzell at the beltsander was taken at the Martin factory and is from their archives. A stroke of luck that he was working on a big stack of Ditson Model ukes in what is one of the few surviving period photographs of the Martin factory. There wasn't a Ditson musical instrument factory, just a printing press & warehouse in Jamaica Plain. The period photos show the storefront & interior of the Chas Ditson building on 34th Street, and the Boston Tremont store exterior.

Hi, Tiger. Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

That is fabulous that you are on the hunt for an Oliver Ditson. I can understand how you would like to take a photo of the dread and non-dread side-by-side. I do see, in your gallery, one photo of a Martin-style Oliver Ditson instrument...so it's not like those rare birds have been ignored altogether. lol I'm joking. If you are ever in the Chicagoland area, bring a couple of your Chas. Ditsons and I'll bring my Oliver Ditsons and we can have a regular strumfest and photos can be taken. :)

Thanks for the background on that factory photo. Lovely!

You know what's odd--I almost sold one of my Style 1 O. Ditsons. One has wooden peg tuners, the other mechanical tuners, otherwise they are identical (dark wood, early 1920s). I offered one of them to different friends on UU at least three times, for trade or purchase, with the thinking: why own two of the same? Well, over time I have come to appreciate the differences, likely they were made one year apart, or during a transition year from wooden pegs to mechanical tuners. God, I'm glad I kept them. The Style 2 was purely a chance listing and purchase on eBay. Seems I used to see more C and O Ditsons listed on eBay, and not so much in recent 12-24 months. I do recall a Style 3 Chas. Ditson (like Terry's) that sold on eBay, what, maybe 8 months ago. I think it was in Japan, the seller; you likely spotted it, too.

Anyhow, your website is glorious. I think anything and everything you can add about all Ditsons would be welcomed, especially as you kick over stones in the months and years ahead re: the brothers Ditson. Heck, I have no clue how many Ditsons of any type remain of the, what, under 5000 that were ever built of any type. Perhaps, little by little, you will have a growing catalogue of all owners. What a glorious fraternity!

To Tiger and all reading this thread--and Walker, this may have been like the Martin-style 2 that you saw in the shop (was this the shop?)--here's a fun little video of a gentleman playing five different vintage Martins, one of which is a Ditson Style 2 (non-dread Oliver, I think, not certain). Sure, different strings and such, but it is fun to hear all these mahogany ukes in series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV0uiOrOFqc

Last edited:
Hi coolkayaker1, it was a shop in York, UK that I saw the style 2 Ditson, very similar to the one in the video. That video is fantastic, great to hear them all side by side.
Very, very envious of your signature by the way (saw it in another thread) that's quite a collection!

To Tiger and all reading this thread--and Walker, this may have been like the Martin-style 2 that you saw in the shop (was this the shop?)--here's a fun little video of a gentleman playing five different vintage Martins, one of which is a Ditson Style 2 (non-dread Oliver, I think, not certain). Sure, different strings and such, but it is fun to hear all these mahogany ukes in series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV0uiOrOFqc

Enjoyed the comparison! What song was he strumming one each of the 5 ukes?

Thanks for the education. I never knew about any of this.

I would date that to 1922 or early 1923 when those tuners were used. We can narrow it down further since we know that Oliver Ditson (Boston) did not order any Martin ukuleles between mid 1919 and mid 1922, a period of about 3 years. So mid 1922 until the introduction of the grooved barrel Grover tuner in late 1923.

The tuner holes look like they may be plugged (which would call the dating into question since they may not be original) and I see a repaired split running down the headstock to the back of the neck. It's not in great condition for the price, I agree. Welcome to New York :)

Last edited:
Dunno, but I just stole it lol

If you believe the website, Walker, Eddie and Tiger, Retrofret still has the Ditson Martin-style 2 for sale!
http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=3608&CartID=

If I had the cash I'd go for that if it was definitely all original. I'd be interested to know what you guys consider to be most important when adding to your collections. Would you favour one in great condition but modified, over one which is all original but with a couple of cracks etc?

If I had the cash I'd go for that if it was definitely all original. I'd be interested to know what you guys consider to be most important when adding to your collections. Would you favour one in great condition but modified, over one which is all original but with a couple of cracks etc?

I find that vintage Martin made ukuleles, when properly set up and maintained, are almost without exception fine sounding and great playing instruments. Ditsons in particular come from the "golden era" of Martin production, so you really can rest easy that the sound, action, and intonation are going to be satisfying.

As for condition, as long as the price fairly reflects the issues, there isn't too much to keep you away. Slight top distortion is very common, usually a little dishing in front of the bridge, and in my opinion nothing to worry about. These are lightly built instruments with thin & responsive tops and not much bracing... that's why they sound good. Cracks are common, and properly repaired should not be an issue. You will often see Style 3 Martins that have small cracks from the parend inlay at the end of the body. One exception for me is long side cracks, I just don't like them, or multiple cracks from the uke being banged into something or crushed.

Martins are well built and usually the braces don't come loose, but once in a while the ends will pop up and those need regluing. Nothing to worry about. I don't like refinished instruments, but a little French polish as part of a repair might be ok, if done correctly.

The main issue I avoid is previous bad repair work, where someone who doesn't understand how these were built and set up tries to "fix" it in a way that can't be undone.

Top Bottom