collings ukulele neck

Well Chuck, for starters I'm not certain what you mean by "full". Chunky? Thick?

Beyond that I'd simply say Na. Not true. Slim. Fast. Perfect C shape. smooth as silk. Just one more reason they build the best factory made ukuleles on the planet.

Well Chuck, for starters I'm not certain what you mean by "full". Chunky? Thick?

Beyond that I'd simply say Na. Not true. Slim. Fast. Perfect C shape. smooth as silk. Just one more reason they build the best factory made ukuleles on the planet.

Exactely what Jon said. I own a number of different ukes and necks are as different as each builder, go figure. Some reference in order of thickness ie. chunky to shallow.

Gretsch
Webber
Pono
Koaloha
Collings
Mya Moe
LoPrinzi

As you can see the Collings is in the middle, perfect C shape not to deep nor too shallow, I love it.

Chuck, I rather like the Collings neck profile. It's neither thick nor thin, but leans a bit more toward thinner than thicker end of the spectrum. Also, I don't think thickness alone determines how fast a neck is. Shape and finish also matter. I had a gorgeous LoPrinzi that had by far the thinnest neck I've ever played. Gorgeous uke. But I wouldn't say it was fast for me. In fact, for me I feel the Collings are faster. The fastest neck to me so far is my new Kinnard soprano. It certainly isn't thin and leans more toward thicker size but the shape is perfect and I really like the satin finish I chose for the neck.

Last edited:
well so much for paying for the collings experience. either wide, say 1.5" nut, or fat necks feel good in my hand. silly little detail but the comfort and familiarity has to be there. the flukes have a good feel for that matter being a bit wider just looking for something high end and preferably domestic manufacture.

Kanilea has wider necks. Pono has thicker chunkier necks. Ko'olau necks are thick, a little less chunky than Pono. Collings is thin. Martin is thin. My Luis Feu de Mesquita has a neck that is a little thicker. I've played a few of the newer Kanilea slotted headstock tenors that were really really nice and a great value for the money.

I've never experienced one neck being faster than another. My Moku has a super thin neck and I really find it difficult to play well compared to my Pono's and Gretsch which have supposedly fat slow necks. But I may not have the skills to notice.

i'm never going to be a speed player in the first place. for whatever reason the fat necks are comfortable to play. i can't trade away comfort for something that's going to be mildly annoying times umpteen repetitions.

Collings, neither chunky or especially slim. Middle of the road and quite comfy.

Top Bottom