Getting use to one sound or fussy ears

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have noticed this and fortunately come to recognize it, saved me money and frustration. I call it fussy ear, uke mood or conditioned hearing.

It comes from playing one particular instrument and the same song over and over and over again. This happens while practicing for performances or just working on a new song. The sound of that particular instrument gets ingrained into my ear and all of a sudden ukes I use to love no longer impress me. Hell some I don't like anymore and feel like selling

Case in point was a two week period I spent exclusively with my re-entrant Mya Moe. Afterwards everyone of my beloved low G sounded off, I could not stand that low G sound which I had loved.

I have a friend who has a custom tenor but he is now hooked on playing his soprano. He thinks there is something wrong with the new custom and a couple of his other favorite tenors. It is just soprano ear, a temporary condition.

Andrew from HMS once said " Don't forget the reason you first fell in love with that instrument". If you sell you may be searching for that sound again

So when you feel disatisfied with something you had previously really loved just spend some time playing it again. Your ears and pocket book will thank you.

Last edited:
Well, at least you're listening to yourself, and that's a big step.

And, remember, as we age our hearing (and most everything else) changes. Happy strumming! :eek:ld:

I've had the same thing happen recently. Last month I received a new tenor. I loved it, my instructor loved it, everything was peachy. Then I received a new-to-me baritone, and I played that exclusively for a week or so. Now I can't figure out what I liked, much less loved, so much about the tenor. Back to the tenor, I guess, to rekindle the romance.

Maybe one should have just one really good Uke. It would always sound good!

Having only one good uke is definitely my goal. Between the three different major sizes and various wood types, it takes some experimenting to find that one good uke, though. :)

Having only one good uke is definitely my goal. Between the three different major sizes and various wood types, it takes some experimenting to find that one good uke, though. :)

Well, folks can buy one that suits them, learn to play well with it while trying out others in stores or borrowed from friends, and then buy a really nice one for themselves.

That's what people do with flutes and trumpets and violins and drum sets. :eek:ld:

I used to sing the praises of my cheap Makala, and when I got my Mainland, there was no doubt that it sounded better, but to my ear, not a lot better. However, I went back and played the Makala, after playing the Mainland for a month, and wow, there was a huge difference. The Makala didn't sound near as good as I remembered. So I can see where you are coming from as far as that is concerned.

I enjoy the different sounds of each of my ukes. Some do get played more than others for different reasons, but it's always nice to "rediscover" a uke if it hasn't been played much.

I have thought of that.."Wickedwahinnie" sold off her K brand tenors and just kept her Moore Bettah.
There is something about having one ukulele.

I enjoy the different sounds of each of my ukes. Some do get played more than others for different reasons, but it's always nice to "rediscover" a uke if it hasn't been played much.
:agree:
Uke and occasion should match...

Dave, you are so right. I agree my hearing gets conditioned to a particular tone of uke.

Even the time of day (or a particular day) affects my hearing. Occasionally, I pick up and play a uke late at night and think "ehh", only to pick that same uke up in the morning and think "awesome". So, usually no snap decisions on ukes for me.

You sir are a UAS killjoy.

Quite the contrary my fine feathered friend . I never once said don't buy new ones. The point was don't go quickly selling off the ones you have that you once really enjoyed playing. UAS reins supreme. My stable continies to grow

Your string thread regading the Moku is a perfect example. Too many instruments get sold off too quickly before given a chance. Fortunately enough you know that uke sounds good with something other than nylon strings.

Dave, you are so right. I agree my hearing gets conditioned to a particular tone of uke.

Even the time of day (or a particular day) affects my hearing. Occasionally, I pick up and play a uke late at night and think "ehh", only to pick that same uke up in the morning and think "awesome". So, usually no snap decisions on ukes for me.

If that's true, and I agree that it is, then all this string testing may be so much smoke and mirrors. Maybe one just wants his/her Uke to be different and special. The weather's temperature and humidity etc. might also change a uke's sound. Also one's feelings and/mood might affect the uke's tone.

Maybe the ukist, playing the same Uke all the time is the answer to making the Uke sound great all the time. :eek:ld:

Quite the contrary my fine feathered friend . I never once said don't buy new ones. The point was don't go quickly selling off the ones you have that you once really enjoyed playing. UAS reins supreme. My stable continies to grow

Your string thread regading the Moku is a perfect example. Too many instruments get sold off too quickly before given a chance. Fortunately enough you know that uke sounds good with something other than nylon strings.

And do you have a humidity controlled warehouse for me to store all these ukes? I just built a case for 7 and it was too small within a month. Now you want me to keep them all and keep buying?

Really good post Dave. I've had exactly the same experience, and often. You sorta get on a roll with the feel and tone of one and the others get lonely. Like, just right now I've been playing my Kala laminate concert ad nauseum. I have several more expensive instruments that I also love but my hands and heart have become so attached to the little Kala and I reach for it eery time. Your point is so well made and I needed to hear it as I am a buy and sell junkie. Cheers brother.

I've been thinking on this one and while I agree it's generally true it's not always so for me at least. I have one uke, a Pono, cedar/ebony with southcoast strings. Andrew picked it out and said it was the last of that group that he said sounded absolutely the best. In fact Cory and Andrew both got one for themselves if I remember correctly. Anyhow I'm not name dropping for no reason here. This uke is outstanding in sound and playability. I can't think how I could be happier with it unless I won it in a contest or it was a gift from Andrew cause he likes me so much.:D

I play it most of the time and once when I first had it played it exclusively for a long time. However at some point I wanted a change and played some of my other ukes and low and behold I enjoyed them very much as a change. They sounded mostly good to my ear even after a long play with that Pono. I do however get on streaks of playing one instrument because I like the sound at the time but it always come to an end usually without remorse.

I've been thinking on this one and while I agree it's generally true it's not always so for me at least. I have one uke, a Pono, cedar/ebony with southcoast strings. Andrew picked it out and said it was the last of that group that he said sounded absolutely the best. In fact Cory and Andrew both got one for themselves if I remember correctly. Anyhow I'm not name dropping for no reason here. This uke is outstanding in sound and playability. I can't think how I could be happier with it unless I won it in a contest or it was a gift from Andrew cause he likes me so much.:D

I play it most of the time and once when I first had it played it exclusively for a long time. However at some point I wanted a change and played some of my other ukes and low and behold I enjoyed them very much as a change. They sounded mostly good to my ear even after a long play with that Pono. I do however get on streaks of playing one instrument because I like the sound at the time but it always come to an end usually without remorse.

I understand what you are saying, I have the very same Pono ET-PC as you do. It is really more about psychological moods affecting how I feel about a certain sound. If I really get accustomed to that sound others sound too different or off, not always though.

Just like Doc J and Hippie Dribble said one can sound really good to you for no logical reason. But then this is music so it emotion based and not logical.

Top Bottom