Kala KA-ATP-CTG or Kala KA-SMHT Tenor

enkrates

Reaction score
I can't decide between these two? Anyone here have these ukuleles that could provide some feedback?

Some observations:
From the videos, the SMHT doesn't sound as sound as loud the ATP-CTG (maybe it's just my headphones).

Cedar vs Mahogany top, which one do you prefer? I know it's a matter of personal preference but I just want to hear you guys' opinions.

The ATP-CTG has laminated Acacia side and back while the SHMT is solid mahogany on top, side and back. Does this matter?

Thanks!

I can't decide between these two? Anyone here have these ukuleles that could provide some feedback?

Some observations:
From the videos, the SMHT doesn't sound as sound as loud the ATP-CTG (maybe it's just my headphones).

Cedar vs Mahogany top, which one do you prefer? I know it's a matter of personal preference but I just want to hear you guys' opinions.

The ATP-CTG has laminated Acacia side and back while the SHMT is solid mahogany on top, side and back. Does this matter?

Thanks!

All things being equal (and they rarely are), I would expect a cedar-topped instrument to have a more "open" sound and an all-mahogany instrument to be more focused. The cedar will often be perceived as louder, but isn't necessarily.

I love a cedar topped instrument, and have a Kala KA-KTG-CT, which is very similar to the ATP-CTG. However, you will find as many people who advocate for all-mahogany. Only your ears can judge.

I had the concert of the cedar top, and it was excellent.
The cedar/acacia ones have a very long list of praise on here in all the sizes.
The concert cedar/acacia was quite loud, and bigger sounding than alot of tenors.
Not just loud... but good articulate tone.
Although it's ply back and sides... you'd be hard pressed to tell by listening or looking unless you abuse it to the point where you'd get though the veneer.

+1 on the cedar/acacia's
They're play alot better than their price point.

I love cedar tops. All my favorite ukes are cedar except for one hog that is a little gem but still won't beat the cedars.

I have the cedar top in tenor with cutaway and it's the best sounding and playing uke I've ever had. I've even tested it against a Ko'aloha and thought that it stood up to it very well for 1/3 the price.

They both sound good, but different. I have the mahogany tenor and am always surprised by it's lightness. Cosmetically they are equally attractive, the mahogany in a rustic kind of way. I love the tortoise and bought it as my "blues uke." I have it strung low g with wound 3 and 4. An apples and oranges kind of choice. Not sure you can go wrong with either if they are the ones you have zeroed in on.

A hands-down vote for the Kala cedar/acacia tenor—amazing tone for the price, and it's a gorgeous little beast. Don't underestimate it because of the laminate sides and back: I recently got a Pono Pro Classic cedar/acacia tenor, and it will be some months of heavy play yet before it matches or exceeds my Kala in tone.

I can't give you a comparison of the two but I have the cedar top tenor and I really love it. So much that I had considered getting a second one.

Actually I think you just found me my next uke -- with the spruce top :rolleyes:

Are you referring to the Kala KA-STG?

I think someone bought the last STG from HMS :). Was it you?

Last edited:
Thanks again guys!

Just want to update, I purchased the Cedar Kala KA-ATP-CTG this morning and the Oahu case this morning from the Ukulele Site.

Wise choice, OP: I love to death my Kala La Salle.

Top Bottom