Open gear tuner vs sealed gear

H9718G.jpg
-open geared tuners

02-07002-lg.jpg
-closed geared tuners

It's the same mechanism - the closed one just has a cover. At first I thought closed tuners would be better at keeping dust and gunk out of your gears until I read this on the Ko'olau website:

A common misconception is that closed (covered) gear tuners, whether Grover, Schaller, or Gotoh are better quality than open, or exposed gear tuners. Some closed gear tuners are, in fact, high quality, precision machines; however, in many cases, under pretty “covers” is revealed very cheaply made gears. Often these tuners turn smoothly for part of the button shaft rotation, but then hit a tight spot, where the gear cut does not accurately match the fluted cut on the post.

Here is the link to the whole page
http://www.koolauukulele.com/tuners.htm

Sealed gear tuners are usually heavier than the open geared tuners. I believe the advantage of sealed ones is that it prevents dirt and other things from getting into the gears.

I'm not sure where the notion of sealed gear tuners are higher quality came from. The best geared tuners I know of, Waverly and Gilbert (used on Jake Shimabukuro's uke) are only made in open gear configuration.

Top Bottom