Cleaning up the finish

WCBarnes

Reaction score
I purchased a Timms 2nd hand about a week ago and it arrived today. It traveled from the UK and was wrapped very nicely in bubble wrap. When I unwrapped the uke I noticed there are now lots of marks in the finish from the bubbles. I tried to wipe them with a dry microfiber towel, but they did not come off. Since he is the original maker I sent a PM to timbuck to see if he had any suggestions, but I also wanted to tap into the knowledgeable minds of this forum. Any suggestions on how to remove the film without damaging the finish?

Here are some pics:

Timms1.jpgTimms2.jpgTimms3.jpg

If it's a residue, then I'd try a dilute dishsoap and water.
If that doesn't work and it's a residue, I'd try a furniture polish.

The first will get water based residue and some oil based.
The second will get a little more stubborn oil based.
Anything more strong.. might ruin the finish so maybe a buff?

If it's not residue, but something has reacted with the finish surface then I'd try a polish.
I like the Novus brand plastic polishes. It comes in a set with 2 creams and a spray in descending grit but really the #3 will leave a nice shine by itself if you just want to buy one bottle. Its good for most scratches or defects that are in the finish, but haven't reached the wood.

That's a bummer--I hope it can come off easily.

I have no advice as I'm sure I would just make it worse if I tried any of my bright ideas.

I'd ask what finish is on there first. His more modern ones use "Finish is Hand rubbed in Dark Shellac/French Polish (Aimed to give that Vintage Look ).
from wiki
French polishing is a wood finishing technique that results in a very high gloss surface, with a deep colour and chatoyancy. French polishing consists of applying many thin coats of shellac dissolved in alcohol using a rubbing pad lubricated with oil. The rubbing pad is made of absorbent cotton or wool cloth wadding inside a square piece of fabric (usually soft cotton cloth) and is commonly referred to as a fad,[SUP][1][/SUP] also called a rubber,[SUP][2][/SUP] tampon,[SUP][2][/SUP] or muñeca, Spanish for "rag doll".[SUP][3][/SUP]
"French polish" is a process, not a material. The main material is shellac, although there are several other shellac-based finishes, not all of which class as French polishing.
The finish is considered by many to be a beautiful way to finish highly figured wood, but it is also recognised to be fragile. It is softer than modern varnishes and lacquers and is particularly sensitive to spills of water or alcohol, which often produce white cloudy marks. However, it is also simpler to repair than a damaged varnish finish, as patch repairs to French polish may be easily blended into an existing finish."

so you should be able to just polish it out. I'd ask Mr timms what he suggests before I did anything!

orrrrrrrrr, you can wait until Ken gives you some advice, which may be the safest approach.

I wonder how warm the package got in transit. Can you feel the marks on the surface - are they raised at all?

I hope Ken can give you a good answer.

Be careful, especially re: furniture polish etc, because of the french polish. It is delicate and not like normal gloss finishes.

I wonder how warm the package got in transit. Can you feel the marks on the surface - are they raised at all?QUOTE]

I can feel them ever so slightly when I run my fingers over the top and back.

Thanks for the input to this point! The people on this forum are great! I am going to wait until I hear from Mr. Timms before I do anything! I have been playing it and it sounds wonderful! Now to get it looking its best as well!

The plastic & chemicals in the bubble wrap reacted with and damaged the finish. I have seen it before. You should never put bubble wrap in direct contact with an instrument or this could happen, leaving a polka dot pattern.

Wrap the instrument in newspaper or brown paper and then put the bubble wrap on.

Interesting to know about this. I have never seen this issue with bubble wrap on an instrument finished with true oil.

That was my thought. Why would someone in the know do something like that?

I think you may have mis read the OP. It states it was bought 2nd hand, not bought from the builder, so I'm guessing the seller wasn't 'in the know'

The plastic & chemicals in the bubble wrap reacted with and damaged the finish. I have seen it before. You should never put bubble wrap in direct contact with an instrument or this could happen, leaving a polka dot pattern.

Wrap the instrument in newspaper or brown paper and then put the bubble wrap on.

Do you know if anything can be done to repair the finish?

Yes, bubble wrap does react with a french polished finish. It happened to a Martin I shipped to Arizonza and was left in a delivery truck over a weekend. The entire face was effected. I had to refinish the top. Not that hard a job but it meant reshipping. Live and learn.

I wouldnt touch it until hearing from Mr. Timms. My guess would be to try some alcohol on a soft cloth.

Last edited:
I heard back from Mr. Timms overnight:

"Recommend a very light buffing with 0000 steel wool and beeswax polish."

I have no doubts in Mr. Timms knowledge/expertiese and I have seen it recommended before, but to be honest, buffing a ukulele with steel wool makes me a little nervous! Any technique suggestions?

I have no doubts in Mr. Timms knowledge/expertiese and I have seen it recommended before, but to be honest, buffing a ukulele with steel wool makes me a little nervous! Any technique suggestions?

I think you may have mis read the OP. It states it was bought 2nd hand, not bought from the builder, so I'm guessing the seller wasn't 'in the know'

Thanks for clarifying that. I guess that's a mistake I could have made. But not now. This place rocks. ;)

keywords being "very light buffing"...not like the heavy handed guy in the video!

A VERY light buffing, with the grain, not against it, is a good idea. I understand you can also use 0000 steelwool to cut back a gloss finish to a satin finish. I was thinking of doing this to the neck of one of my instruments to make it slicker/faster.

Also recommend this very fine beeswax: http://watchpolishing.ipower.com/beeswax.htm
I use it for my watchbands but it is also good for wood. A little goes a long way but suggest the extra large (lol), 2 Oz, container for polishing something the size of a Uke.

Top Bottom