PDA

View Full Version : Electric ukulele beginner questions

morgothaod
06-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Is this person using an electric ukulele or an acoustic-electric ukulele? I'm confused because the first 20 seconds of the video it sounds acoustic and after that it sounds electric. Is he just changing a setting on an amplifier to make the ukulele sound different?

I would like the option of being able to play the two different types of music like the guy in the video. What ukulele and amplifier (I would like to be able to use headphones with it) should I buy? I would like to be able to use a shoulder strap as well (Do I need to buy a certain type of ukulele to be able to use a strap?) and the total I would like to spend for all of these items is $200.

Thanks! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmXryifTD4

ukulelego
06-15-2015, 02:05 PM
It's an electric ukulele not an acoustic electric - he's just flicking the distortion switch on the amp after 20 seconds to get that dirty sound.

There's no specific type of ukulele you need really other than one that's in some way electric and an amp that has distortion (even the little Marshall mini's have these). It all comes down to personal preference and budget really.

Dearman
06-16-2015, 12:41 AM
Vorsion has a steel string and stagg a solid bodied nylon string for under $150. You need to figure out if you want a solid bodied or an accoustic electric. Behringer has cheap studio headphones. Amps depends on what you want. Portable? Battery powered? Size? Effects? Read up on them a bit, then look for affordable ones with those features. I'm guessing that you would enjoy a modeling amp best since it 'models' sounds of many amps. You are going to go over budget to get all three.

bnolsen
06-16-2015, 02:31 AM
epiphone les paul will do the acousto/electric thing. That's a hollow body nylon string with piezo. Used to be able to find those for 99usd...bonus its 84usd right now!

A pedal like a zoom g1on will do a ton of modelling no problem. Has looper and drum kits. The tuner is excellent. That's 50usd.

I can't say much about guitar amps, but they are cheaper than bass stuff (buy before the pedal).

dxdydz
06-16-2015, 02:38 AM
Thomann sells a solid body electric for 57 EUR with the brand Harley Benton on their website. Nothing online except their sound samples to judge its quality from, though. Still, at that price I've been tempted before.

photoshooter
06-16-2015, 02:39 AM
In my limited research I've seen that some solid body ukes (intended for plugged in play) have headphone jacks. Playing through headphones makes the instrument mostly silent. I have one that I use for nighttime practice.

An acoustic/electric uke gives you options on how to play but even with headphones it won't be silent. Also most AE ukes I've seen don't have a headphone jack so you'd have to go through an amp or an iPhone/iPad to use headphones.

So it really depends on what you're looking to achieve.

kohanmike
06-16-2015, 05:59 AM
I had a Vorson solid body electric uke that was rather nice for the low cost. You can also order a fairly good little 10 watt amp direct from China.

Vorson Les Paul style , $120 US:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--VORFLPUK2

China amp $43 US:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Electric-Guitar-Amp-Amplifier-Bass-Amp-M6-10-10W-3-AA-battery-9V-DC-Free-shipping/565748593.html

Inksplosive AL
06-16-2015, 07:58 AM
Be warned an amped ukulele picks up all string technique good and bad.

~AL~

The Big Kahuna
06-16-2015, 08:17 AM
The Blackstar Fly 3 would give you a nice distorted tone, so long as the pickups were hot enough, and it shouldn't break the bank. If you have a limited budget, the majority should be going on the instrument, you can always buy a better amp later.

The Big Kahuna
06-16-2015, 08:20 AM
Here is the inimitable Chappers, demoing the Fly 3 (ignore the fact that they're both playing 6 string electrics, the principle is the same).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA02o_BThTc

Icelander53
06-18-2015, 05:51 AM
It never sounds acoustic to me. He's playing with the amp.