Soprano string help

Adrian Ortiga

Reaction score
I have no acces to good ukulele strings so the only options i have are fishing lines and classical guitar strings. what type of classical guitar strings or fishing line would be suitable for a soprano size ukulele cause i am worried that the tension migt warp the neck :(

Last month or the one prior (not sure, but it was pretty recent), fellow UU brother BazMaz did an extensive review article with 2 different video sound samples regarding using Seaguars fishing leader for strings, which ALSO included suggested fishing line pound-test/gauges.

The articles are on his blog, as well as announced here in the forum with lots of posts in those threads here on the forum.

You can search the forum for threads by BazMaz, and/or look at his site:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/

Aside from that, fellow UU brother J.Kevin Wolfe (wolfwithane.com) has discussed this on HIS blog, as well as fellow UU brother's PhilUASFret and OldePhart participated in over dozens of threads with this topic over the past 3 yrs, so you might want to search those threads too.

Last edited:
Maybe I am wrong but would HMS not ship to you in the Philippines. I have had them ship me strings to Canada and shipping cost was $4.00 for 4 sets of strings. You are closer to Hawaii then I am so shipping cost might be less.

Seaquar Blue Label clear fluorocarbon fishing leader line:

g - 25 pound test
C - 40 pound test
E - 30 pound test
A - 25 pound test

This will give you a light gage setup.

For more tension, try:

g - 30 pound test
C - 50 pound test
E - 40 pound test
A - 30 pound test

Fishing

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-ukulele-string-recipe&highlight=Fishing+line

Adrian, here's the epic fishing line thread from a couple years ago with some ideas from those that have tried it for ukes. The Soprano-specific part you'll have to ferret out of the replies, but it's interesting reading that I think you'll find enjoyable and educational (I know I did).

Brother WDS has, perhaps, summed it up below; thanks, WDS.

Best to you.

Thanks booli, and PhilUSA. Soundessentials do sell strings but only savarez and limited stock.

I've used Savarez Corum strings and been very happy with the results. I used a set made for ukulele, but they are simply Savarez's classical guitar strings repackaged for ukulele. It should be easy for you to adapt a set of C.G. strings for your instrument.

Seaquar Blue Label clear fluorocarbon fishing leader line:

g - 25 pound test
C - 40 pound test
E - 30 pound test
A - 25 pound test

This will give you a light gage setup.

For more tension, try:

g - 30 pound test
C - 50 pound test
E - 40 pound test
A - 30 pound test

This should go into a "Survivalist's Guide to Ukulele Necessities". ;-)

My 1930s ukulele tutor suggests using A & E violin strings. A strings for the inner strings and the E strings for the outer strings.

You can use the three unwound strings (strings 1,2&3) of any classical guitar set. The Guitar E string is cut in two, and is then used for the high G and the A on the ukulele. The guitar G string is tuned up to the C on the uke, and the guitar B string becomes the ukulele E string. And, if you want a low G, you use the guitar D string (wound) and tune it to G on the uke.

Top Bottom