Two Spruce tops tenors, which sound do you prefer?

Which spruce top sound sample do you prefer?

• sound sample 1

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • sound sample 2

Votes: 37 63.8%
  • no preference

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

Doc_J

Reaction score
I've recorded 2 sound samples of my two spruce tops tenors (Ko'olau Deluxe rosewood B&S, mahogany neck. Boat Paddle D-Style, walnut B&S, maple neck). Both have fluorocarbon strings. The Ko'olau has Oasis brights low G, the BP has Worth CTs with a wound C (D'addario) & wound G (Aquila).

I haven't labeled which sound sample is which, so there is no brand bias.
Which sound sample do you prefer 1) or 2) ?
Can you tell which one is which?

Sound Samples: https://soundcloud.com/doc-hj/sets/two-spruce-top-tenor-ukes

P1070344_zpsnromntlr.jpg

P1070345_zpsunzwomtm.jpg

P1070346_zpsf0don81h.jpg

Last edited:
I like #2, but I don't know which is which.

I pref #2 as it has more warmth to my ear. Look forward to hearing the results.

If I were getting a spruce top, it wouldn't be to get a "warmer" sound. I like the BP because it sounds more like what I'd buy a spruce topped uke to sound like....bright, clear, bell-like. The style on that BP is very cool.

Hi, I would choose No. 1 as it sounds so sweet and mellow to my ear. It is all subjective. Both are excellent ukuleles
but I would have to get used to the odd shape of No. 2. Hard choice.
regards, Norman2

NO. 1 Very articulate imo. Some bell like tones but less warm than the other one. When you get your results I hope you'll tell us which was which.

I like #2 better... more resonance and depth to me. But heck, I'm not buying it!

I voted #2 as it sounded more articulate when finger picked. But I liked #1 better when strummed, sounded warmer and fuller to me.

Last edited:
Number 1 is the Boat Paddle because the wound C stands out like dogs gonads!

I like the sound of both Doc. I do prefer the sound of Number 2 (which I think is the Ko'olau) though a little more.

Nice playing brother. I love these sound comparison threads you do mate. Cheers.

I like the picking on 2 but the strumming on 1.
Seems like 2 has a little better sustain up the neck, which I like.

Overall, I like 2.

Last edited:
If I were getting a spruce top, it wouldn't be to get a "warmer" sound. I like the BP because it sounds more like what I'd buy a spruce topped uke to sound like....bright, clear, bell-like. The style on that BP is very cool.

I agree re why I want a spruce top as opposed to say all Koa or all any other wood. I think it would have been a better test if both instruments had the same strings. Both sound great but there are just so many variables beside the spruce top.
PS. I do love the BP D style shape though. Jerry H has really put a lot of most interesting designs out there, hasn't he?

Top Bottom