Banjo Uke SetUp

DaveWm

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I've been used to setting up guitars but I've just bought a concert banjo uke. When it arrived the remo skin was covered with plastic film. This went under the chrome ring so to remove it all I had to undo all the lugs after taking the strings off. I then replaced the chrome ring and refitted the end piece. I've now tuned up and set the bridge in the correct position but the action is too low and the strings are buzzing. I'd appreciate any advice on sorting out the action. I'm not sure whether you have to adjust the end piece to raise the action. Thanks

What kind of banjo uke?

First, how is it at the nut end, especially the first fret? Is that end comfortable?

Second, is the neck straight? Along with that, is the neck level to the head (not tilted at all)?

Third, Which frets are where the buzzing is happening? Are they just too high and need dressing?

Fourth, does the instrument have a truss rod? If so, an adjustment there (not much different than guitars) may do the trick. This link may help (http://www.deeringbanjos.com/blogs/banjo-maintenance-tips/10271809-banjo-neck-adjustments)

Fifth, have you tried putting a thin shim (no thicker than a popsicle stick size or so) under the bridge feet? If this works, getting a new, higher bridge would be in order, and you can sand down the feet to get to a more comfortable height.

There are probably other quick ideas, but kniwing the brand/model of the instrument would help.

Top Bottom