favilla baritone

chuck in ny

Reaction score
this gem came in and it's a real player. it is strung with new martin strings which i changed out for daddario j68s. they were dead sounding and the martins went back on.
i find the ergonomics very good and like the neck and 19" scale all just right.
what strings have been working out on these old ukuleles?

I found any nylon string with a wound low D worked on my Favillia. It may be they were made in an era of nylon strings. They seemed to bring out a deeper, bluesy smokey sound. I prefer a set with a wound 3&4.

Good choice, they are a special instrument with a still reasonable price. It was a toss up between keeping the Martin or the Favillia.

If there's no label or serial number inside, it was made between '46-'53.

Last edited:
I found any nylon string with a wound low D worked on my Favillia. It may be they were made in an era of nylon strings. They seemed to bring out a deeper, bluesy smokey sound. I prefer a set with a wound 3&4.

Good choice, they are a special instrument with a still reasonable price. It was a toss up between keeping the Martin or the Favillia.

If there's no label or serial number inside, it was made between '46-'53.
Ha, I sold my Martin and gibson baris and bought 3 no label favillas. I still have enough left over for my Hawaiian vacation. I have dreamed about going since a lot of my old windsurfing [now sailboarding if you are not kiting.] buddies went there in the '80's. I think I almost have enough Skymiles for a ticket.

I've got Martin 630[d] on the one, , southcoast linear [c] on the other 2. I like the scale, the light build, the very nice 1 piece mahog.,and the prices [so far], they are plain, so blingers need not apply. The only neck I like better is the one on my Arthur Godfrey [now] steel string baritone.
embaritone.jpg

Top Bottom