8 Strings --> 4 Strings??

rclifford13

Reaction score
Hi,
There is an 8 string Kamaka tenor uke on sale at the moment, and I was wondering...
Is it possible to take 4 strings off and use the uke as a normal 4 string tenor ukulele? Or will the strings be in the wrong positions?

Thanks a lot!
Rob :)

Thanks Deach!
Would it be in any way different to a normal 4 string (i.e. the string placings) as I do not want to buy it then find there are irregular gaps between the strings. I tried doing this exact thing with a mandolin and it didn't really work (although the mandolin was $20. lol.)

Has anyone ever tried this before?

I string my 12-string guitar as a six sometimes with no problems. The string spacing will be a little wonky depending on the instrument, but it's possible to get used to it. Otherwise, it's easy enough to change the nut over.

because its a tie bridge its pretty easy to send it out and have the 4 string holes drilled and have the nut replaced. But the headstock is significantly heaver on a 8 string which is something most people have trouble with.

because its a tie bridge its pretty easy to send it out and have the 4 string holes drilled and have the nut replaced. But the headstock is significantly heaver on a 8 string which is something most people have trouble with.

I own a Mele 6 string and the head's weight was the hardest thing to get used to.

I also know that Mele makes their 8 stringers where they can be strung as a four stringer with no difference other than the head's weight and I would assume Kamaka would do the same thing.

Why?

Why would you want to turn an 8 string into a 4 string? That defeats the purpose.

Exactly what I was gonna ask - Why? An 8 string Kamaka has a sound of it's own. My dos centavos. But you're paying out the bucks and you can do whatever you want.

I own a Mele 6 string and the head's weight was the hardest thing to get used to.

Tell me about it, one of my 8 string Kanile'as weights we much on the headstock that I am having it drilled for a strap. I refuse to order sealed tuners because of the weight difference the opens its not such a big deal until you get to a 8.

Heck I sold the Ogata because of this and the super heavy large headstock, even though it was a fine playing instrument.

Exactly what I was gonna ask - Why? An 8 string Kamaka has a sound of it's own. My dos centavos. But you're paying out the bucks and you can do whatever you want.

Actually, the Kamaka for sale is a lot cheaper than a new 4 string tenor Kamaka - that's why I was wondering, as it could save me a lot of money.

Top Bottom