WTB: 8-string tenor

tshall

Reaction score
I'm interested in an 8-string tenor for exploring the four-course Renaissance guitar literature. I'm most interested in the Ohana TK-70 8-string, but it's been "coming soon" on the UkeRepublic website for months, and I can't find it available anywhere else. So, if you have an 8-string tenor sitting around unloved (or know of any TK-70-8's sitting around in stock), let me know. Offers of other models than the Ohana are welcome, but at least a solid top is strongly preferred.

I'm interested in an 8-string tenor for exploring the four-course Renaissance guitar literature. I'm most interested in the Ohana TK-70 8-string, but it's been "coming soon" on the UkeRepublic website for months, and I can't find it available anywhere else. So, if you have an 8-string tenor sitting around unloved (or know of any TK-70-8's sitting around in stock), let me know. Offers of other models than the Ohana are welcome, but at least a solid top is strongly preferred.

Hi, I have this lovely 8 string.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...for-sale-or-trade&highlight=Pono+string+tenor

Played and heard several others play the Ohana TK70-8 at the Tampa Bay Getaway in November. The sound is amazing. I'd hold out for one of those myself. Sounds as good or better to my ears than 8 strings costing 2-3 times as much.

There are a lot of decent 8-strings out there at many price points. As with any stringed instrument, the string choice and setup can make a major difference in sound quality and playability. One of the better bargains is the Oscar Schmidt OU28T which is usually available for under $125 shipped. Except for the totally-unnecessary "Aloha" printed on the headstock (covered mine with a VVA sticker) it does pretty well. Sound sample is below:
https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/oscar-schmidt-ou28t-heart-of

Thanks for all the suggestions. I emailed Uke Republic and they said they will have Ohana 8's in a few weeks - by concidence, I'm going to be in Atlanta for the annual Conclave of the Viola da Gamba Society of America in a few weeks, so am going to restrain myself (and play my Kala tenor) until then. I just can't resist all solid wood, and unanimous rave reviews, for roughly the same price as the solid/laminate Lanikai.

Top Bottom