Reccomended Listening....

spazus_maximus

Reaction score
Could you guys post some of your recommended Ukulele listening.....

I just heard Victoria Vox this morning & really wish I knew of some other contemporary artists making that Uke work!

Thanks in advance:shaka:

Last edited:
Beirut is really good. Check out his songs "Elephant Gun", that has a really cool uke part

Lyle Mays, How About Uke?

Havent found anything of his yet...Im at work so im blocked from Youtube...

Petty Booka is alot of fun.

Ok....That was fun for sure....not sure I could really get into them though...

and there's James Hill

Now that guy really is awesome....I like when he is paired up with a cello!

Beirut is really good. Check out his songs "Elephant Gun", that has a really cool uke part

I really need to check these guys out....The strange instruments I saw the other day really do have me curious...

Don't forget the Barnkickers! They're definitely worth checking out. I believe they either released an album recently or will do so soon.

I really hope Amazon chooses to stock it...

I recommend:

Melvern Taylor and his Fabulous Mel-Tones (old-timey skiffle-y band fronted by a uke player)

Jon Braman (socially-conscious ukulele hip-hop...actually a lot cooler than it sounds. ;) )

Saw both of them (along with Victoria Vox and Jake Shimabukuro) at a big uke show in NYC in November. Loved them all.

And any UU member videos!

I've been checking out the samples of Greg Hawke's The Beatles Uke on iTunes. It sounds pretty good! Might have to get it.

JJ

Don't forget the Barnkickers! They're definitely worth checking out. I believe they either released an album recently or will do so soon.

I really hope Amazon chooses to stock it...

I will have to check them out tonight as well....

I recommend:

Melvern Taylor and his Fabulous Mel-Tones (old-timey skiffle-y band fronted by a uke player)

Jon Braman (socially-conscious ukulele hip-hop...actually a lot cooler than it sounds. ;) )

Saw both of them (along with Victoria Vox and Jake Shimabukuro) at a big uke show in NYC in November. Loved them all.

And any UU member videos!

Melvern Taylor seems pretty cool....Jon Braman isnt for me though....rap usually makes me wanna vomit...lol....Thanks for the suggestions though

I've been checking out the samples of Greg Hawke's The Beatles Uke on iTunes. It sounds pretty good! Might have to get it.

JJ

Just listened to Elanor Rigby off that disk.....must say i really enjoyed it!

For "lovely, naughty, and obscure music from the 1910s, 20s, and 30s" check out Janet Klein & Her Parlor Boys. Ian Whitcomb plays with her regularly.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=63770259

http://www.janetklein.com/

Janet Klein has a cool old timey sound......I felt like I was visiting a prostitute when i went to her site.....was i supposed to feel that way?...lol....Thanks

Have a look at Yalego on youtube and myspace

Yan Yalego.....Very cool.....Yes Sir!!! That made it to the must get list!!!

Thanks!

Aldrine Guerrero is pretty cool... :D. I think he plays the ukulele
:shaka:

I need to hear some more Aldrine....I like his playing that's for sure...

Thanks for all of your input....looks like i should have no problem spending money now......could someone spot me a $20?:shaka:

Troy Fernandez - Hawaiian Style Ukulele
I know you said contemporary but this is too good to pass up.

Janet Klein has a cool old timey sound......I felt like I was visiting a prostitute when i went to her site.....was i supposed to feel that way?...lol....Thanks

You came out of there feeling better, didn't you? More relaxed? Ready to go take on the world? Well, maybe after a little nap...

Top Bottom