The "bait ball"

jupiteruke

Reaction score
When large fish, such as tuna, chase small 'food' fish in open water the small fish form up into a swirling mass known as a "bait ball". Just google "bait ball" to see lots of pictures.

My daughter Katherine ("Kat") graduated as a marine science/biology major and has done research work on tuna. That was the inspiration for this uke graduation present. It is made out of koa that her mother and I brought back from Hawaii on our honeymoon. (baggage was free in those days). I do not know why I bought it since I was not making instruments in those days, but I must have had dreams because I brought back this 1/4 sawn koa and have had it sitting all these years.

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpg
    IMG_5176.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5181.jpg
    IMG_5181.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5175.jpg
    IMG_5175.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5179.jpg
    IMG_5179.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 125
Holy Crap, that's amazing. What a great gift.

Now that's a graduation gift!! How many fish did you end up inlaying??

The fish inlays as markers and rosette look really cool. Great back story about the koa wood and inlays.

Awesome uke; fabulous gift!

Absolutely stunning. And an amazingly thoughtful gift. Bet there were a few tears when that was handed over.

I'm wondering if any of the previous 13 instruments also had the benefit of your inlaying ability lavished on them? If so, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in seeing some photos.

Fantastic uke and story! I have a piece of redwood I got on my honeymoon in California that is just waiting to become an instrument. My daughter is only 5 years old, so I have time to practice :D

Top Bottom