Anyone use chordify to try to figure out chords?

WKerrigan

Reaction score
I have tried using the free version to figure out chords for songs from youtube videos, but it seems like it always comes up with pretty complex chords--lots of flats that I have difficulty playing, and also difficulty transposing. Curious if others have found it a useful tool.

You will need to first identify the key of the song. Look for the last chord of the actual song, ignoring any instrumental ending. That should give you the key of the song. It will 95% of the time. You can then work out a transposition to a more "friendly"/singable key. All the other chords can then be transposed by the same amount. Even then you have to treat the chords given as a first shot and use your ears to check and modify as necessary.

I don't find the interface particularly helpful. I prefer riffstation; https://play.riffstation.com/ the chords scroll along under the video. It won't necessarily help with your problem but I find it easier to put the chords in their right place I initially which makes further work on the song much easier.

I use Chordify quite a bit actually. The main thing with it is that a lot of times the interface will interpret single notes as chords for some reason. You sort of have to figure out what are actual chords and what isn't if that makes sense. Basically, try ignoring anything that's flat or sharp first then go from there.

If what I'm saying doesn't make sense, which in probability it probably doesn't, plug in a simple 3 chord song that you already know. You should see the chords you're playing but a lot of other supposed chords that are either flat or sharp.

I use a program called "The Amazing Slow-Downer". It does not tell you the chords but it will slow a song down so that you can figure it out. You can also change the pitch of the song if you want to try a different key

I've not had success with chordify for the reasons mentioned in the initial post.

I now just find a Youtube video of the song that I wish to learn, slow it down to .5 speed using the Youtube gear symbol in the lower right-hand corner, and ape the musician in the video.

I was annoyed, at first, with the extra notes that show up on chordify. But then I noticed that ever 3rd or 4th chord shown (depending on the time signature) is the one I need. Now I have no issues with it. Hope this helps.

My problem with Chordify is I've never seen it give me anything except basic triad chords - minor and major. Maybe there was a diminished. But no major or minor sevenths or ninths, etc. -- the complex chords I could really use software to help me figure out.

A lot of the chords people have "figured out" on sites like Ultimate Guitar Tab are wrong. Whether I'm using Chordify or a site providing full chord sheets, they're often just the starting point. I hope they give me enough of the correct chords that it won't be too hard to work out the rest myself.

I don't like chordify. I use this to transpose: http://www.logue.net/xp/

Drop the text of chord-marked lyrics in the field. (Noting the original key is optional.)
Select the key you want to play/sing in, and then click "click here" just below it.
Lyrics in the new key are marked two ways, with chords in the text, and with chords above the text lines.

I just tried riffstation out and made the decision to purchase it immediately. It looks like it does everything that chordify promises and then some. It is well worth the $24.99

I never jived with choridify. It seems too buggy for me - inaccuracies all over the place.

I like ultimate-guitar.com - I will put a song in the key i want, copy and paste, and then fix the chords that seem wrong, or that I don't like.

Bumping this thread. Here's my take on the latest iteration of Chordify.

Interesting product. I'm using it via web on an iMac. So, I don't know how it operates on a smartphone or tablet.

It'll take some getting used to. The presentation of music is so different from what I am used to. There is no chord/lyric sheet. There are tabs and a Chord sheet. But, no lyrics.

You can view the music chords and tabs animated (scrolls while the music plays).

You got some cool features. You can upload ANY music file and it will quickly generate chords and tabs for you (it has a 32MB upload max. So, don't send .WAV files. ACC or MP3 are smaller). And it is NOT TOTALLY accurate recognizing the chord. However, it recognizes the downbeat and leaves off the rest. Good, not good, i don't know. Your uploaded music will play along with it. You can edit your chord chart but, it is a bit confusing and certainly rudimentary,I can't find a way to save any changes. Transposition is good. You can print your chord chart and tabs and you can even download a midi file of your music.

One thing that sets it apart from the others is that it can find foreign language music! I can type in Japanese characters and it find the music I want.

I think I'll keep the subscription for the year. We'll see how much I use it.

Last edited:
Choridify 'guesses' the chords by acting as a tuner, and turning multiple notes played at the same time into a single chord. It's never very accurate at all. Also, it doesn't produce complex chord suggestions at all, just majors and minors and very rarely a 7th chord. It's good of you can't figure out the key of the song by yourself, but it's really bad for getting the chords right, and even the places where chords change... Riffstation has a different interface, by is basically the same algorhythm, producing similar 'ballpark' chords.

Top Bottom